Gibson Brands Forums

New Epiphone Fan

Ess

Just got hooked on Epis and have just got my second in two months.

I've always had a bit of a thing about ES335s. They seemed to me to be 'real, constructed' guitars rather than just a lump of shaped solid wood, but being more of a Fender man I just admired them from afar. A few years ago I discovered Gibson did an ES339 and fell in love! It seemed to be everything the 335 was but in an oh-so-cool smaller size. I wanted one bad! But how can you justify the price unless you're a pro? So I continued dreaming.

Then a couple of months ago I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that Epiphone did an exact replica at a realistic price. So I immediately ordered an ES339 Pro in Vintage Sunburst. It had to be a VS because that colour really does its history justice. Epiphone also seems to me to have more street cred than other brands doing copies - being owned by Gibson, making faithful reproductions and having a long history of its own, gives it much more legitimacy.

I was so impressed with my 339 that I then ordered a Les Paul Tribute Plus in Cherry Sunburst. This was another guitar I had seen years ago in a shop and was totally in love with but the Gibson price kept it just a dream. I have to say the Epi version is even more stunning than the Gibson I remember. I am really impressed with the quality, finish and sound of both of them, especially the LPTP - the cherry sunburst over beautifully book-matched flame maple is gorgeous, genuine Gibson humbuckers, proper solid construction with the carver maple cap, for only AU$750!!

Man those Sheraton IIs are sooooo tempting :)

Just got hooked on Epis and have just got my second in two months.

I've always had a bit of a thing about ES335s. They seemed to me to be 'real, constructed' guitars rather than just a lump of shaped solid wood, but being more of a Fender man I just admired them from afar. A few years ago I discovered Gibson did an ES339 and fell in love! It seemed to be everything the 335 was but in an oh-so-cool smaller size. I wanted one bad! But how can you justify the price unless you're a pro? So I continued dreaming.

Then a couple of months ago I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that Epiphone did an exact replica at a realistic price. So I immediately ordered an ES339 Pro in Vintage Sunburst. It had to be a VS because that colour really does its history justice. Epiphone also seems to me to have more street cred than other brands doing copies - being owned by Gibson, making faithful reproductions and having a long history of its own, gives it much more legitimacy.

I was so impressed with my 339 that I then ordered a Les Paul Tribute Plus in Cherry Sunburst. This was another guitar I had seen years ago in a shop and was totally in love with but the Gibson price kept it just a dream. I have to say the Epi version is even more stunning than the Gibson I remember. I am really impressed with the quality, finish and sound of both of them, especially the LPTP - the cherry sunburst over beautifully book-matched flame maple is gorgeous, genuine Gibson humbuckers, proper solid construction with the carver maple cap, for only AU$750!!

Man those Sheraton IIs are sooooo tempting :)

hey i can relate i have 14 of them since last December . they are habit forming ..And welcome to this site its a great one .

hey i can relate i have 14 of them since last December . they are habit forming ..And welcome to this site its a great one .

And I thought I was bad...lol...Post some pic's of your "14 Epiphone's" for the rest of the 1 or 2 guitar owners [biggrin]

Welcome Ess. Yup, you probably do need a Sheraton [biggrin].

Grrr.... Stop! It's hard enough without your encouragement.

just got a new cab to go with my amp, so Sherry will just have to wait for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived