Gibson Brands Forums

Death - The band

heymisterk

I saw a very interesting documentary today about a band called Death.

They were made up of three black brothers from Detroit who made hard-core punk music, but - according to the documentary; I am not a punk expert - years before other punk bands and the punk movement started.

Obviously, they were never accepted: by mainstream because of their name; by the black music scene because of the music they made.

The leader of the band - depressed about not being able to make it - eventually smoked and drank himself to death.

Check out this song, recorded - I think - in 1974. The full album was released in 2009!

First punk band is difficult, there's to many bands to cite for there to be a first and in reality to many variables.

Death (The punk band) known debut record is a bit difficult, it's interesting but it doesn't really hold up against time its self. It's something everyone who loves punk should own and have in his collection to pop out once in a while, but to be frank it's only really for the hardcore fans...

I don't know: I listened to a couple of the songs, and I really thought they were very good, with good hooks and good lyrics. I really enjoyed it more than - say - Black Flag or even Sex Pistols.

It's more suited to the rock types then the punk types, most here would just consider it as rock.

Call me crazy but it sure sounds like punk to me.

I never did get into punk at all.

And this sounds exactly like what I didn't like about punk when I first heard it back in the 70's.

It all sounded the same to me.

But hey,, to each his own.

To me, most punk does indeed have a distinct sound: songs that are relatively structurally simple that move quickly and skip any kind of soloing.

I'd disagree a bit about the soloing. There are solos in punk rock - they just tend to be simple, short, and based on the melody - not unlike pop in that respect. Generally all the blues based solo cliches of 60s and 70s rock are avoided - though interestingly 50s cliches (ala Chuck Berry for example) occur often.

Wow, love this band... Thanks for posting the video...

Check this one out, their timing is spot on, really interesting stuff... Great voices, no... Enegry up thier a$$... [thumbup]

Yeah, I've been listening to the whole album and it's really good. And I see that the documentary - A Band Called Death - is on Netflix, so I'll be checking that out as well. Thanks for the post MisterK!

The problem with music movements that become "genres" is that the names come later and the starting point is always a subject of discussion.

There are several examples I can think of, from Metal to Grunge.

In the end when a band is "ahead of their time" for a genre "Proto" is added to the genre name, so these guys (Death) would be Proto-Punk.

Wow, love this band... Thanks for posting the video...

Check this one out, their timing is spot on, really interesting stuff... Great voices, no... Enegry up thier a$$... [thumbup]

"Politicians in My Eyes" was the other song that really stood out as well. Loved it. Have yet to listen to some of the other stuff.

I will probably get blasted for saying this, but I love the idea of black guys from Detroit making music like this. I am not a scholar, but African-American musicians were not known for making music like this, at least to my knowledge; again, no expert. I remember thinking Living Colour was an anomaly because of their music.

A couple of comments I have. Most of them reinforce what already said so sorry for not giving you cats credit for them.

1. Death is considered Proto-punk, not unlike the Stooges, the MC5, or White Light/White Heat era Velvet Underground. They paved the way and influenced all of those punk bands.

2. I think of the early "punk" bands as more of rock bands with an attitude. When I listen to Never Mind the Bullocks I hear a killer rock record more than the sound that proceeded Circle Jerks and Black Flag.

3. For the Whole World to See is a great record that stands the test of time. You may not like that style, but you cannot deny that it is one righteous album. Buy it!

4. Was waiting for the documentary to be available to stream on Netflix since I do not have the DVD service. Hope it's there.

Archived