Gibson Brands Forums

Headstock shape vote

Rabs

Hows this?

I like it.

But I was more thinking redesign the profile so that the top is somehow symbolic of your 12th fret marker.

maybe some curves matching the outside small dots and the inside large dot,,, while at the same time sorta matching the double cut horns.

hard to explain.

I like it.

But I was more thinking redesign the profile so that the top is somehow symbolic of your 12th fret marker.

maybe some curves matching the outside small dots and the inside large dot,,, while at the same time sorta matching the double cut horns.

hard to explain.

Like this? (VERY roughly)

lbfbsdsarge2_zps8e2ee4d4.jpg

Like this? (VERY roughly)

kinda ya,, but get rid of the actual markers and replace with a larger rounded horn in the middle to symbolize the big middle dot.

kinda like a crown..

and if you like, you could put the marker inlays in their appropriate representation,, kinda like jewels.

but that my just push it into corny... would have to see how it looked.

And dude,, it's your guitar do how ever you want.

But I am tickled you are even remotely interested in my idea.

kinda ya,, but get rid of the actual markers and replace with a larger rounded horn in the middle to symbolize the big middle dot.

kinda like a crown..

and if you like, you could put the marker inlays in their appropriate representation,, kinda like jewels.

but that my just push it into corny... would have to see how it looked.

And dude,, it's your guitar do how ever you want.

But I am tickled you are even remotely interested in my idea.

That's why I asked as I am interested and open to ideas... :)

And my only issue with having such intricate detail is you have to remember that the headstock needs to be pretty solid in design or it puts it at greater risk of a corner chipping off if the guitar is dropped etc...

I am still very much in my experimental stage so will be trying several different things out.. I do kinda like the one I posted after your first post though.. (design B with the dots).

We will see... its all part of the fun... [thumbup]

the headstock needs to be pretty solid in design or it puts it at greater risk of a corner chipping off if the guitar is dropped etc...

We will see... its all part of the fun... [thumbup]

Yep,, true that. Your B design does look nice and solid.

When I saw them all yesterday for the first time I liked all of them (!) so had to come back to it having mulled it over.

I'd still like any of them but IMO version A would go better with a variety of body shapes.

P.

When I saw them all yesterday for the first time I liked all of them (!) so had to come back to it having mulled it over.

I'd still like any of them but IMO version A would go better with a variety of body shapes.

P.

Cheers guys :)

And Pippy I was like that too at first.. all of the shapes have their good qualities... Shape A is quite traditional, I can totally see why it would bring in the most votes.. BUT I have a slightly to side of traditional taste so a slightly off shape suits me.

BUT what I do think in the end is that what ever shape I used, people would get used to it as long as its not butt ugly.

However.. it is all still subject to change at this point ;) (even though I have to decide really soon).

Here is an idea, Take what ever shape you decide on, and at the top end of the head stock, inlay the same design as your 12 fret markers, but use a mother of pearl for the inlay. All you would have to do is center the markers, lightly counter sink for the inlays, glue them in place.

Might tie in the neck to the head stock.

Here is an idea, Take what ever shape you decide on, and at the top end of the head stock, inlay the same design as your 12 fret markers, but use a mother of pearl for the inlay. All you would have to do is center the markers, lightly counter sink for the inlays, glue them in place.

Might tie in the neck to the head stock.

Ohh and yes I may just do something like that.. cheers [thumbup]

Archived