Gibson Brands Forums

What is the difference between this and a standard J45?

J-45Girl

Modified v neck profile according to the specs. If that's what's on my OJ (and I think it is) I like it. I think that's about it. They sometimes put AJ style bracing in special editions, and it works really well in short scale mahogany guitars, but the specs don't say anything about that. The Addy top and braces give you better odds of getting a light/stiff soundboard, which can be.a very good thing depending on your style. Nice burst

P

They have a sunset burst Gibson, (I think they are calling it 60's j-45) on the wall at the local GC. It has no electronics, white oval button tuners. New w/case tagged under $2000. I don't recall if it has the red spruce top but does have the sunset burst. If you are liking the look but not concerned about pup, or red spruce. FWIW I could be persuaded to go by and give it a go if interested.

Not specs related...

You can find a standard J-45 available at virtually every Gibson dealer, but the sunsetburst is not available anywhere. (I'm talking new guitars)

I'm a standard owner, and would love to play that adi top sunsetburst. Just played the J-45 custom yesterday for the first time, and I liked it a lot more than I expected. I bet that sunsetburst J-45 is an awesome guitar.

Aside from the Adirondack top, gold tuners and "Sunset Burst", is there anything else on this guitar that differs from a standard J45?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/J-45-Red-Spruce-Sunsetburst.aspx

Yeah , the pickguards in the right place.

Buy it now , why wait till June!!

this came up once before but nobody seemed to know the diff. One thing noted is the red spruce braces but that's hardly worth the difference. that plus gibson specs on their own website are frequently misstated/understated/overstated.

The sunset adi J45 is selling for quite a bit less than the TV here in the UK, so the TV would have to be substantially better to warrant the difference in price.

Fair enough. Prices in the UK do not necessarily track the prices in the US. Used TV's are good value in the US.

In any case, I would suggest playing the two to get a feel for the differences.

I realize the principle of supply and demand but these numbers don't make sense. The MSRP on the TV $3500 and the Red Spruce Sunset $5000. Yet from what I have seen the RSS J45 can be bought (new) for less than a TV.

It just so happens I prefer the looks of the RSS J45. As for sound,I will let you know, I have not played one. The TV is a good sounding J45 but when I buy a new guitar I want it to look new. I am not trying to re-direct your thread j45g. I am just trying to understand the ratio.

Archived