Gibson Brands Forums

Mr. 339 and his beautiful Epiphone

Ralph F.

Me too, are those gold plated ? It is a bit difficult to ascertain. Still, awesome. So, what was the first thing you played on it ?

No the tuners aren't gold plated, I got them from Guitar Fetish.

I may replace them, because the original keys had 2 holes on the back, and the ones I'm using now only have the single holes, and I don't want to fill them in, I'll get some from StewMac that are closer to stock.

I think the first thing I played on it was "Steel Guitar Rag." I have a lap steel version in open G and one for standard tuning. I've hears Leon McAuliff play it in open D open G and E9 tuning. E9 is way to jazzy for my taste.

Ralph

Nice guitar! If you like the stock tuners but don't like the kidney shaped buttons, you can get new buttons for your tuners. I did replace a few pair of tuners on my Epis, but only for aesthetics, the stock Grovers worked fine.

I put some imperial buttons on my Sheraton and some keystone buttons on a couple of other guitars. I just like the looks of them better.

Nice guitar! If you like the stock tuners but don't like the kidney shaped buttons, you can get new buttons for your tuners. I did replace a few pair of tuners on my Epis, but only for aesthetics, the stock Grovers worked fine.

I put some imperial buttons on my Sheraton and some keystone buttons on a couple of other guitars. I just like the looks of them better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, mine had Gibson style tuners when I got it but I have a thing against plastic keys. I think they look bad on a good guitar. I fail to see why Gibson uses them on a 2500 guitar. They worked fine and so do them ones I have on my 339.

I'm not so much worried about resale because I'm not selling it but my relatives may be. The Les Paul I'm buying has those tacky tuners too so I guess StewMac will get some biz from me. Guitar Fetish is a lot cheaper though.

Here is the tuners I'm going to put on both of my Epis. Workman like and have a great rep.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_Vintage_Deluxe_Oval_Knob_Tuners.html#shop/Tuners/Guitar%2C_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_Vintage_Deluxe_Oval_Knob_Tuners.html?tab=Pictures&_suid=1388021578443008276502192604534

If I wasn't worn out from Xmas I would have gone to TinyURL before I posted that.

Archived