Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Trojan

skeeterbuck

So the way I understanding everything I read in the other thread is that the Trojan was a "economized" version of the Original Jumbo. Gibson removed the back and fretboard binding, changed the script logo from pearl to stenciled white and widened the sunburst shading. Now they had a guitar that they could sell for $35, hence the name "Jumbo 35".

So really, since the body shape and sound hole were originally kept the same, the Trojan has more in common tonewise with the Original Jumbo that the later J-35.

Chuck

So the way I understanding everything I read in the other thread is that the Trojan was a "economized" version of the Original Jumbo. Gibson removed the back and fretboard binding, changed the script logo from pearl to stenciled white and widened the sunburst shading. Now they had a guitar that they could sell for $35, hence the name "Jumbo 35".

So really, since the body shape and sound hole were originally kept the same, the Trojan has more in common tonewise with the Original Jumbo that the later J-35.

Chuck

True, but the Trojan discussed here is unlike any other documented Trojans because of the scalloped braces.

We have a 35 Jumbo and THE Trojan -- 960-12 -- the only guitar documented as a Trojan with a FON. This was discussed in the other thread.

jumboj35.jpg

Best,

-Tom

True, but the Trojan discussed here is unlike any other documented Trojans because of the scalloped braces.

We have a 35 Jumbo and THE Trojan -- 960-12 -- the only guitar documented as a Trojan with a FON. This was discussed in the other thread.

jumboj35.jpg

Best,

-Tom

Yea Tom, I forgot to mention the bracing difference. That's a important little detail that can't be overlooked. [blush]

Thanks for keeping me straight.

Chuck

• 3 months later...

This for me is about the best acoustic tone I may have ever heard. [love]

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zcnfw2EY5KQ

Have you heard the other videos with that guitar? On that youtube video checkout the other videos from the same source,if there is a better sounding acoustic guitar, I haven't heard it yet. They sure built them right in "the golden age of the dreadnaughts"!

So is this the same apparently unique Trojan with the scalloped bracing that is being discussed in the recent post here that was discussed in the UMGF thread?

and if it is... its very welcome here... I would imagine some here dont chime in over there.. Cool guitars... Loud as well...

and if it is... its very welcome here... I would imagine some here dont chime in over there.. Cool guitars... Loud as well...

Thanks and yes, ZW, this is the same guitar I desperately wish I could play anywhere nearly as well as my buddy Todd Taylor plays it. He really enjoys making that old girl sing.

Archived