Gibson Brands Forums

Weight question

MichaelDH

Geez, solid body doesn't look quite so solid body this way. Really looks pretty gutted.

Is it that much of a benefit weight-wise, and how much tone/sustain do you lose this way?

Thanks for the pics and responses.

I'm not sure what the idea was with chambering the Ultra, but with the Ultra II & III it probably helps the nano-mag pickup acquire better acousic tonal properties.

I would expect so. I have a relative's Ovation VXT here at the moment and that is the same idea, chambered with piezo saddles. Unplugged it is fairly loud and semi-sounding, not quite as loud as my Sheraton. Plugged in, the electric side (Seymour Duncan 57's) sounds like classic les paul, nothing missing that I can hear, though I'm not really an LP or humbucker player. I haven't tried the Ultras.

At the My Les Paul site Gibson Les Paul 101 :

Gibson's Custom Shop makes regular production guitars and historic reissues. The regular production guitars, such as the Les Paul Custom, are also weight-relieved. They do not have solid-bodies.

The historic reissues are solid. All historic reissues, be it Standards or Customs, are solid. The exception being the chambered reissues.

The Gibson Les Paul Traditional has no weight relief, starting in 2013.

True

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

I was curious about the weight of the solid Traditional and took a look at them at the Sweetwater site. They have eleven 2014 Traditionals and they range from 9 lbs 3 oz to 10 lbs 8 oz.

Archived