Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Les Paul Traditional

cjsinla

I bought this one a couple of weeks ago.

12260918243_f336f1af85_b.jpg

Decided to return it and got this one instead.

12140543665_11832ccdcd_b.jpg

They call both of them AA but the blue one is striking. It seems that many of the blue ones are highly figured. I wonder if the color of certain dyes that bring out the grain more on some. Some of the other 2014 bursts look almost plain in comparison.

These are clearly AA tops, but indeed the blue is a very striking one, and more beautiful than some AAA tops I have seen. [thumbup]

It looks to me as if the blue colour masks the graining and brings up the figuring which gives this top a truly sublime appearance. The wine red colour obviously does the opposite.

Too bad they put pickguards on them in the factory - I would have wanted my AA top Traditional 2013 without or provided in the accessories compartment, like with both of my AAA top Standards... :rolleyes:

Well Gibson keeps their really fancy flamed maple tops for CS guitars. I do believe that the Traditionals have AA maple tops. It's weird with Wine Red finishes, as a lot of them (even the customs) don't have such a figured-looking top.

However, I think they sometimes can't predict how a top may turn out to appear when carved and finished. This is the reason in my belief why there are some seemingly mediocre CS guitars as well as gorgeous USA guitars, despite of the rating performed before processing saying the opposite.

The blue finish - gorgeous top and color.

I'm with you on some stain colors bringing more out of the figuring than others.

I also find that Gibson grading has pretty wide variation. While the wine (?) top definitely looks AA, that AA top on your blue one could easily fit into Gibson's AAA grade - the figuring looks very similar to that on my LP graded AAA by Gibson.

That blue LP sure is a looker. Congrats. . B)

Thanks for the comments you guys. I dumped the speed knobs and put on a plain TRC as soon as I decided it was a keeper. The 59 tribute pickups are definitely brighter, have more chime and clean up better than the 57's on my 2013 Trditional.

12276134586_063d8d42b2_b.jpg

The difference in tone could be supported by the woods, too. Up to now I don't know the '59 pickups, but my Traditional 2013 has more chime and transparency than any other LPs and SGs featuring '57s and '57 Pluses. When reading your lines, to me your new Traditional seems in a holistic manner somewhat beyond the one you returned.

By the way, I like Speed Knobs most and put them on all my Gibsons except my SG Supra, but I prefer blank truss rod covers like you do and swapped them on all Gibson axes but my Alex Lifeson model.

Awesome top!

I ordered a wine 2014 and will have it in a few days. The one I purchased had some pretty good looking "tiger striping" flame... the closest terminology I can come up with since I cannot remember the correct term for it.

I too am anxious to hear about the 59 pups. The few reviews I have found all say they are brighter, but sound true vintage. How much brighter are these than 57's? Is it a significant difference?

I like the Les Paul growl and hope I won't need to put new pups in it.

Awesome top!

I ordered a wine 2014 and will have it in a few days. The one I purchased had some pretty good looking "tiger striping" flame... the closest terminology I can come up with since I cannot remember the correct term for it.

I too am anxious to hear about the 59 pups. The few reviews I have found all say they are brighter, but sound true vintage. How much brighter are these than 57's? Is it a significant difference?

I like the Les Paul growl and hope I won't need to put new pups in it.

I measured the resistance of the pups; the 57 classic + was about 8.0 and the reg 57 was about 7.75. The 59 tributes were about 7.5. They are brighter than the 57's in the Les Paul but not as bright as 57's in my Les Paul SG. They have more spank and chime than the 57's in the Les Paul Trad, more like the 57's in the SG but sound different than an SG, maybe a little fuller. Definitely more of a vintage Les Paul vibe. It still growls but the growl is not as overpowering and it's easier to control. If you want to sell your 59's, let me know. I'll trade you my 57/57+.

Thanks for the comments you guys. I dumped the speed knobs and put on a plain TRC as soon as I decided it was a keeper. The 59 tribute pickups are definitely brighter, have more chime and clean up better than the 57's on my 2013 Trditional.

12276134586_063d8d42b2_b.jpg

That is a sweet looking guitar you got there... I'm not a fan of blue finishes on LP's, but this looks amazing!!

Archived