Gibson Brands Forums

if you could only have 2

Wayne

And one was a Gibson maple Super Jumbo...

what would the other one be, and why? Doesnt have to be a Gibson, but it certainly can be.

I dont want to have lots of guitars. I want just one that combines with my maple J100 to round out my possibilities as much as two guitars possibly can.

I'd sell the Maple Super Jumbo and use it to defray the cost of an old pre-war, cremona L-1......or even a nice old Kel Kroyden L-00....if you've got a good one of them, you don't need a big, ungainly jumbo. They'll put out more sound, and it'll be better, too.

I already have a Maple (but it's a Taylor...) To compliment the small body maple, I choose a Gibson Advanced Jumbo (AJ). The rosewood and dreadnaught size compliment the Maple small body Taylor perfectly. I feel that the two guitars pictured below are the best of both worlds... They are my "Beauty and the Beast".

SideBySide.jpg

I already have a Maple (but it's a Taylor...) To compliment the small body maple' date=' I[/quote']

Nonono. You cant change the question. You have a Super Jumbo Gibson, not a small body maple Taylor.

NOW what is your second choice?

Probably a rosewood j-45. Seems to be more distinct from maple than is mahogany. (to my ears anyway).

This is what I was sort of thinking when I posed the question, but I'm still open to other ideas. Then I wonder, hmmm, would I then need a third, mahogany guitar to really round it out? And I really really really dont want to start collecting guitars. So I'm trying to limit it to 2.

This is what I was sort of thinking when I posed the question' date=' but I'm still open to other ideas. Then I wonder, hmmm, would I then need a third, mahogany guitar to really round it out? And I really really really dont want to start collecting guitars. So I'm trying to limit it to 2. [/quote']

You could always buy a used '96 Martin MTV Unplugged. It has a half RW/half HOG back. Then you'll have all three in two guitars.

http://www.jackandrubyguitarshop.com/96martinmtv.html

I would always encourage contrast, so a rosewood guitar to go with a maple instrument, but in the specific case of this question I would choose a Hummingbird as the second guitar because the mellow, clean sound works so well with a maple jumbo.

Of course, if the maple guitar were a small body Taylor . . .

I would always encourage contrast' date=' so a rosewood guitar to go with a maple instrument, but in the specific case of this question I would choose a Hummingbird as the second guitar because the mellow, clean sound works so well with a maple jumbo.

[/quote']

Do you say that because most maple jumbos aren't mellow? Mine has a hog neck and is very warm and mellow to my ears.

Do you say that because most maple jumbos aren't mellow? Mine has a hog neck and is very warm and mellow to my ears.

My experience with maple jumbos (I have a '57 J-200) has been that they have a good deal of presence. They are active, quick to respond to the touch and clear in tone. They also tend to have a good amount of bass resonance. I normally find that a rosewood guitar offers some depth to blend with that sound, so I would usually suggest a person consider a rosewood J45 as a mate. However, a Hummingbird has a delicate mid-range that offers a really nice blend if the music being played is oriented toward folk, country or adult contemporary - and this blend is well suited to my personal tastes.

So - Maple j-200 and a Hummingbird.

Archived