Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson at Best Buy.. Yikes!

Eracer_Team

They were selling guitars and amplifiers at one of my local Best Buy stores here, too. However, they recently close the department. I couldn't see how they could even sell guitars and amps without what I would assume would be the needed expertise.

Must be slow up there. BB stopped selling guitars here almost a year ago.

What's really "funny"

They just opened this department shelf about a month ago, so I guess Canada (or at least Brampton) just received the memo

They had a tiny shelf of stuff before, 2 keyboards, 1 acoustic, 1 electric

but now they put a whole row of about 10-15 guitars on display, they Gibson SGJ is the most expensive on the shelf at $549.

We had the full deal here. I liked to buy strings, picks, etc there because their prices were good and I hate Guitar Center. When they finally closed it last year there were some great deals. My buddy got a new in the box Gibson Hummingbird acoustic for under $2,000.

Yeah, Best Buy is usually a little cheaper on picks and strings then anywhere else. I don't know about the Best Buy's in bigger cities that have the full fledged music stores in them, but my local Best Buy only carries four brands of strings and only carries the 12 pack of Tortex's - which what I use - and they did carry the Nylon's, but I haven't seen them there in a good while.

Never got off the ground here...

The pulled it from the 1 Maestro and 1 Starcaster (not the vintage reissue but another Strat cheap knock-off a bit like a Bullet) and some strings area and gave it a whole long shelf and stacked keyboard stands, cords, and a ton of accessories and were about to pull in a selection of guitars and put out there own music dept. flyer, and then just as fast as they got the idea they scrapped it and went back to a small section of strings, picks and cords and I can't remember the last time I saw even the cheap economy model guitars there either...

Yes their string prices were/are pretty damn good, I think they were like $3.99 USD for Ernie Ball Slinky's at one point...

And no, they never had anyone with any musical instrument or gear knowledge associated with the "dept."

My local BB had a music store, it's closed now. I knew a couple of the guys working there - one owned a couple guitars and played, the other was a good friend of mine - a working musician who owns several guitars, a couple amps, an array of pedals - a very knowledgeable guy. Whenever there was an unadvertised special he gave me a call. I bought three guitars there - a new 2008 Gibson SJ-200, a new 2009 Am Dlx Strat and a new 2009 '52 Tele AVS. All extremely good deals and great guitars. That particular BB music store moved a lot of merchandise. They had a full line of musical equipment including software and the setups to try the software out on. I really miss having that connection. For those that know Elderly Instruments, I live in the same area. BB was enough of a factor in the local market that Elderly went in to check out the competition. About a year before they closed the BB Music Store I noticed a change in the stock - they stopped stocking some of the higher end instruments and gradually phased out the store.

Archived