Gibson Brands Forums

P90 Guitars

Karloff

I saw the Nine Inch Nails concerts and noticed the boys are using P90s on their Jaguars. I have no P90 guitar and the Melody Maker was my first choice, but now I think the Jaguar would be cool with a set. Played a MM with the single pup and it sounded so rock and was so light...hmmmm

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan...

No way I could reach a volume knob on those. No way.

OTOH, I do have a volume pedal, and those were pretty popular in the '60s with regular guitar players pf all sorts of genres as well as with the pedal steel guys. We used 'em quite a bit doing rock of the era.

Izzy...

I've seriously considered a Jag Blacktop with their equivalent of P90s at $400 online - except for the fretboard radius. @#$%@#$

m

I went through the same search a couple years ago. On my radar were double cut juniors

and Jazzmasters. I ended up with the SG Classic and have been super pleased with it.

Though I still have some Junior and Jazzmaster lust for sure. :rolleyes:

DSC_0007-2.jpg

A Jaguar with P90's

Is somewhat similar to a Jazzmaster... <_<

V

:-({|=

Jazzmaster pickups are completely different animals to a P90. Much wider, longer, flatter bobbins, and the biggest difference; alnico rod magnets. P90's use adjustable screws, with two long, flat bar magnets at the bottom, pushing the magnetic field upward.

-Ryan

I like the Jazzmaster a lot [thumbup]

Originally created as upmarket to the Strat and in an attempt to compete with the ubiquitous archtops from Gibson etc catering for the 'masters of jazz'

Never really catching on with the jazz fraternity, later finding a niche in surf rock and other musics

IMO it has great aesthetics and a fat bell-like tone...sounding good in a variety of styles from 'pedal country' through blues to Hendrix psychedelia... [thumbup]

V

Versatile et al...

The Jazzmaster does have a lot going for it. I played with a guy for a cupla years, including about a year of weekends as a house country band, and he could make the thing sound more like a pedal steel than a pedal steel.

OTOH, I tried the thing and never was comfortable with it for two reasons - the longer scale and the overall neck shape.

I still come back to playing first what aids your playing. Lets take Joe Pass... he played both Jag with shorter than short scale, and the Jazzmaster but... what was apparently what worked best for him? The ES175 with a short scale.

It's kinda odd that it took me some 45 years of pickin' to realize that perceived comfort and playability whether electric or acoustic gutiar made far more difference in my playing as perceived by others than cost or "tone" or style of guitar. Sheesh.

m

Now here's a guitar that features P-90s.

It's the Heritage H-525.

If I don't find the Epi Sorrento I'm looking for, I'm all in on this one, even though it's four times the price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U47UguwT4ug

Thanks(I think :blink:) for this post...

A superb demo of a terrific guitar...

I want one of course, but will stick with my ES330...

I am not entirely unhappy about that situation... [thumbup]

V

Archived