Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Riviera

Alan189

Hey all,

Thought I'd show off my Riviera guitar :-) Has nice cherry finish too and lovely woodgrain.

Key features:

- NY Mini Humbuckers

- Frequensator tailpiece

- Grover Deluxe tuners

Riviera_zpsae31aa5c.jpg

THAT, my friend, is one beautiful guitar! If it sounds half as good as it looks...

Enjoy!

Here's something I'm working on the QT, and might end up in the trading post soon- keep your eyes peeled!

I'll guess that that's an early to mid eighties Matsumoku built Epi. It's either a Riviera or Sheraton. I'd go for Riviera as the pickups don't look gold plated, although they could be worn or it's a less than hi res pic. Colour? Cherry or Antique Sunburst. Antique Sunburst is my guess, again depending on the pic resolution. Is there a prize if I'm right? [woot]

Alan, how's the depth of the finish? I can't tell, from your photo.

Is it fairly "thin," with the wood grain of the body showing through,

or thicker, with just the red color? Various Epi's, have (of late)

started to thin their poly finishes, to at least appear more "nitro"

like, in transparency. I notice your's does have the correct inlay,

in the headstock, now. That's a good sign! [thumbup][biggrin]

We don't see many of those, in the "States," except from very limited,

and particular dealers. So...Congratulations, on your Riviera!! [thumbup]

CB

I'll guess that that's an early to mid eighties Matsumoku built Epi. It's either a Riviera or Sheraton. I'd go for Riviera as the pickups don't look gold plated, although they could be worn or it's a less than hi res pic. Colour? Cherry or Antique Sunburst. Antique Sunburst is my guess, again depending on the pic resolution. Is there a prize if I'm right? [woot]

The prize is the knowledge that you spend far too much time ogling the finer details of old epis!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2013 Riviera P93 Custom that has the Bigsby, which I never use. I have been thinking of replacing it with a Frequensator tailpiece. How do you like the Frequensator on your Riv? Back in the mid '60's I played a Riviera with a Frequensator and found it made the strings very comfortable...

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks

Archived