Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Studio f-hole access

Starpeve

I was just cruising some random forums and yet again came across another description of the horrendous difficulties with rewiring, pickup changes etc. I've done everything to mine myself and my first venture was approached with trepidation with all of the complicated advice about access problems- after that first time I quite happily venture inside mine all the time. I have yet to encounter any or all of the horrors as depicted. Seemed quite easy to me in fact. I realise that fingers inside the f-holes ain't gonna happen but I've had no problems anyway. As a matter of fact the first careful attempt saw my draw strings pull off of the components and I thought I was doomed but it took all of about 3 mins to sort that out. I wonder how many people are scared off merely by the depictions of difficulties?http://www.guitardat...g/epiphone.aspx

I was just cruising some random forums and yet again came across another description of the horrendous difficulties with rewiring, pickup changes etc.

I wonder how many people are scared off merely by the depictions of difficulties?http://www.guitardat...g/epiphone.aspx

probably 90% more than are scared off by trying it and seeing that it's all do-able !

congrats on your courage and fortitude.....both are necessary when modding semis & hollows.

I think the ones who either report semi-hollow horror stories or are scared off by them, are simply not experienced and/or competent DIY-ers. It takes some goodly amount of experience and problem-solving for most of us before these things become undaunting. Before I ever messed with guitars, I had self-taught experience with cars, appliances, motorcycles, household electric, plumbing and construction, VCRs, you name it. The niggling tedious things that are involved with rewiring a semi-hollow would be probably difficult for those who have little or no experience dealing with accessing tight places, retrieving controls and wires, keeping devices from spinning when tightening nuts, etc.. I do remember when approaching new projects was really scary, so I can empathize with that. All in all, there is no substitute for experience, even if you're really smart.

or,, do what a friend of mine did to a 68 ES335...

Hi took a jig saw and cut out his own access hole. yes by cracky he did. I wish I had taken pictures of this horror show.. a sight to behold, not for the squeamish... (he is a self proclaimed idiot. it's what they do)

Oh Kidblast- you just made my day. Hard to stop laughing long enough to type! I too have known people like that- my 'ol man for one. His solution to any problem is a hammer. And I agree totally with the other comments in that ,yes , I too have a diverse background in tinkering and that does make a world of difference. I must admit that initially I was quite afeared to undertake my first pickup swap , but having talked it up to my mates I was committed to see it through. Recently I had to courage up to retrofit dot markers( top and side) to my Dot Studio which , once installed , led to some dressing work on the rest of the neck with some minor reshaping. The end result is a guitar that my friends rave about and I am in love with ! Coupled with a Bigsby , P 90 neck and paf bridge, totally rewire, repot ,recap etc with fully shielded wiring she sounds remarkably close to Niel Young's 'ol Black and feels wonderful to play. Win Win win for me!! [thumbup] I'd post pics but THAT I'm useless at!

As a matter of fact as a result I'm finding that I now tend to play un- effected (that's the guitar- not me) into my amp 'cos I can dial in so much difference with just tone and volume controls- she's a completely different beast now ! [biggrin]

When I first started paying attention to the DS it was your's, Crust , that I craved(in the pic, that is). But when I went into town to buy it, there was a solid black in it's place. I could'nt wait, so I grabbed that instead. I wondered for a while if I regretted doing that, but now I too love my Dot Studio. I don't know if it's an illusion but the look of all that thick black poly makes it seem heavier than your finish though....

Oh Kidblast- you just made my day. Hard to stop laughing long enough to type!

ya know, Years after the uhmmm... "modification" he was able to chuckle about it too, and the fact that by then, that ES335 would have been worth a small fortune.

so I asked him, "So at the time, you didn't think this as a bad idea?"

"nope"

"Wow.."

"Can I borrow your acoustic?"

"nope"

When I first started paying attention to the DS it was your's, Crust , that I craved(in the pic, that is). But when I went into town to buy it, there was a solid black in it's place. I could'nt wait, so I grabbed that instead. I wondered for a while if I regretted doing that, but now I too love my Dot Studio. I don't know if it's an illusion but the look of all that thick black poly makes it seem heavier than your finish though....

This guitar has more of a "stained" finish than a "poly" finish. Whatever Epiphone did, it looks good to me msp_thumbup.gif and it isn't heavily coated with paint and polyester, which, may not actually be a bad thing. I bet there are some minor differences in how the 2 differently finished guitars sound, I just don't know how much of a difference that might be. Could be a lot, or a little...who knows ? I like mine, you like yours....Sounds like a win-win to memsp_biggrin.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Yeah, Crust, that's the whole reason I liked the natural to start off with! As I said, when I got home with the black having gone to grab the natural, I was actually kicking myself thinking " What have I done"( not the first time- I'm a serial idiot ). I did have vague regrets for some time- happily I've come to adore my mis-choice! [biggrin]

The other thing about the natural is that because blemishes couldn't be hidden, I guess the cosmetically best units were selected for the natural finish. Mine's got so much crap on it that it could be patched together out of anything and you couldn't tell. While I had flaked out drunk on New Years Eve my mate( who denies this emphatically) managed to chip the back of the neck and the finish is so bloody thick that it appears like 2-3 mm in depth!! Maybe an illusion because of the gloss but I was amazed to see it. Mind you, I was also amazed that the headstock was still attached after the force of the blow!!! Maybe all that poly is a reinforcement [laugh]

Archived