Gibson Brands Forums

Earliest known Fender Stratocaster For Sale

Searcy

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaaaaaannnd it's gone.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/25091744/1st-production-model-stratocaster-sold-for-250k

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - The first production model Fender Stratocaster has been sold for $250,000.

George Gruhn of Nashville sold the 1954 guitar on consignment for owner and guitar historian Richard Smith. Gruhn said Thursday that the guitar was shipped and the purchase finalized this week.

Gruhn, who owns a Nashville guitar shop, said the buyer wanted to remain anonymous, but he said the private collector lives in the United States and is not a professional musician. Gruhn also said he encouraged the buyer to contact the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix about displaying it.

The sunburst-finish Strat bears the serial number 0100. Although some Strats have lower numbers that begin with 0001, Gruhn said they actually were manufactured later in that first year of production.

Should have arrived at our place in Sarasota today. Can't wait, pictures to follow... B)

[lol]

Good move in a double sense. [biggrin] Or is it your secondary residence? [rolleyes]

Just asking since your displayed location remained unchanged up to now [lol]

Should have arrived at our place in Sarasota today.

It's in Surrey I believe.

Good move in a double sense. [biggrin]

I really like your Seneca quote Cap.

"Fate's sister, Fortune favours those who keep their nerve" - Homer.

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems" Homer Simpson :P :)

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems" Homer Simpson :P :)

10 + pluses to you Sir Rabs!!! You got me really good...and I'm sitting at home with my 2nd pint.

Cheers!

Considering Farns' signature, he obviously succeeded in being the bird, although at an auction the latest bird will catch the worm. Concluding from your Homer quote, Farns must have good nerves. ;)

Guest Farnsbarns

Good move in a double sense. [biggrin] Or is it your secondary residence? [rolleyes]

Just asking since your displayed location remained unchanged up to now [lol]

My mother has a condo in Sarasota. Mind you, I'm pretty sure it's worth less than that guitar and I was most certainly taking the piss.

Archived