Gibson Brands Forums

SG minor fret catching issue

Country-Rocker

Hi All,

I have found that on my 2013 SG Standard that the higher pitched E string catches under frets 1-9 or so. I examined it and it looks like the frets are just about the depth of a piece of typing paper too high e.g. it is not level with the binding. There are no gaps or sharp edges and the string does not slip off of the fret board. Could I or a luthier just file them down a bit to even the frets up with the binding?

This is not a humidity problem as it has did this since I have bought it. I blamed it on my playing technique, but I was wrong. I work a lot and have not had much time to play this guitar. When I looked it over in bright light the other day, I understood why it is catching.

Thanks,

Freddie

I would expect this to be covered by warranty. I would certainly ask my dealer before I got out a nail file or some other home remedy.

Well do not knock it until you try it. You do have a good point about the warranty but I tell you if they do not go and exchange or actually fix the issue, I would go right ahead and get on it. If they do not exchange it and they have any kind of luthier on sight all he is going to do is get a radiused block and go over the fret board about 10 times with different grits and hand it back to you. The guys at Gibson spitting them out about 300 per day or more per each station is just pulling rate to keep his quota per day or he losses pay. I have seen other so called pro luthier set ups and such and I promise you my fret work, even though are with emory boards are hands down just as a good as a pro set up level job ever has been. Plus I have machine fabrication 18 years experience and emory cloth plays a major role in finishing or levelling a number of tooling dies and such in the field. But since emory cloth is not readily availble everywhere, fingernail files can be cut to a certain width and has 2 sides, a rough one and a finer one and cost about 3 bucks for 10. The is enough for about 4 good fret jobs if you know what your doing. Go for it, just do like I said and take your time. Tim

I will just take a tiny tiny bit off...just enough to keep the E string from catching underneath the fret. I will take it for a full set up very soon, including a fret dressing. I'm only really using it for my Doosr/Joy Division obsession and composing new material. I don't think I am going to be damaging it or hindering my very horrible electric playing skills by doing this.

Thanks,

Freddie

Am I missing something?

I don't get how filing the crown of a fret will fix it from catching under an edge/end of a fret that is lifting.

I've slaved with a fret-end file on a cheaper guitar to fix sharp ends that catch strings and feel lousy, but I'm not getting how this filing of the frets will address his problem...

Is there any detail image or illustration one can post on here because I just can't seem to wrap my head around this?

I've seen luthiers use a soft-strike hammer pounding frets back down setting frets to solve a lifting fret issue along with fret-end filing at the very edge only...

But if there's some real simple technique for this I'd like to see it too because I'm sure I could use the tip...

Archived