Gibson Brands Forums

trade my DOT for a LP Custom??

aggiejason

I've had a cherry DOT for about a year. I like it but I don't love it. Might be able to trade for an ebony LP custom. I know the 2 are totally different animals but what do you guys think? I've only seen pics of the LP so far. It has a Gibson truss rod cover. Is that strange or common? Thx for any input!!

I've had a cherry DOT for about a year. I like it but I don't love it. Might be able to trade for an ebony LP custom. I know the 2 are totally different animals but what do you guys think? I've only seen pics of the LP so far. It has a Gibson truss rod cover. Is that strange or common? Thx for any input!!

What's the serial number? I'm guessing Gibson on the truss rod cover means it's older.

I guess it quite a fair trade, Gibson on the trussrod cover for an Epiphone was something common until the late 90s, I had a Les Paul Custom 1999 Saein made with such a truss rod cover.

While it was a good guitar it was not more or less Gibson because of it, just something they put as a marketing thing; cool none the less to show the link to the mother company.

It was intended as a backup for my Gibson Les Paul Standard, but I ended up trading it for my 2004 Sheraton

It's no secret in these parts that I'm no fan of the regular LP. And I have two Dots. Just one "board" guitar, an old '70s Guild version of the SG. It ain't for sale, either, and has played anything except in an acoustic-only gig.

Each one of us has a somewhat different playing geometry that's mostly our physical dimensions applied to a given guitar shape, and partly how we play the instrument.

Two points:

Regardless that the Dot doesn't feel right and you believe the LP will, consider this: I had one gorgeous guitar - you can see it in my avatar - that I just did not bond with in the '70s. It was in the case for more than 20 years. On a wild thought I got it out, put on a different sort of strings and... instant attachment and you'd best send a well-armed squad of Marines if you want the thing.

Secondly, with both guitars and firearms my wife got sick and tired of me complaining about swaps I'd made, and regrets that I didn't still have the one I'd swapped. That's roughly 1980. "If we can't afford to buy it outright, we can't afford it," she said. "I'm tired of hearing you ***** about wishing you hadn't traded it in." Honestly, she was right and I freely admit it.

m

maybe you can tell us a bit more about your situation.

what sort of music do you play the most?

what is your current rig? (amp, fx chain)

what brought you to buy the DOT in the first place, and -- what would you change that would make you love it, verses like it?

and,, can you play the LP (test drive) before you seal the deal?

The biggest complaint I have about the DOT is the size.....and I'm 6'2". I guess I should have played it more before I bought it. It just seems that when I pick up a Les Paul, a Telly, etc. It just seems easier to play. The DOT is my first guitar. :)

The thing with the Dot is that it needs to be played with a quite different physical geometry compared to an LP or other solidbodies I've played at various times. Ditto other "semihollow" and/or thin-body guitars.

It's a different geometry regardless of a comparison to a full hollow or flattop or a "board" guitar.

It's my observation, though, that trying to get people to use a different playing geometry depending on the specific guitar shape/type is difficult. Frankly I find myself even with a slightly different geometry with 16-inch hollowbodies with 25 1/2 vs. 24 3/4. Not a lot but still some difference. Ditto different size or scale flattops.

To me the Dot has to be worn a bit higher but more "outside" the body on the pickin' hand side and a little more angle upward on the neck. Otherwise frankly the nut seems narrower at root position chords and a big different on up the neck compared to most other guitar types.

OTOH, if you get the correct geometry between picker and instrument, I think the Dot type is perhaps the most versatile of electric guitars.

m

Archived