Gibson Brands Forums

hummingbird biggest neck?

strat71

hi,

i'm dying to buy an hummingbird, i wanted to catch a true vintage but i get to know that the neck is slim and i can't stand the slim neck.

i got a J45 true vintage that i love but it hurts my first finger because of the low profile neck...

so i'd like to know which hummingbird has a plain size neck (as the 59 les paul for example)

i live in Tahiti and rarely have occasions to try guitars before buying...

please help me.. ;)

Ben

Who told you its a slim neck ? I wouldnt call it a slim neck at all, quite chunky actually. You want a slim neck try my 69'er.

a seller on Ebay told me so, that it looks like a 60' Les Paul neck...

it is not?

how does it compare to the J45TV??

Ben

Who told you its a slim neck ? I wouldnt call it a slim neck at all, quite chunky actually. You want a slim neck try my 69'er.

Gibson necks got thin as all get out in 1960 so there never was an original HB with a chunky neck. 1963 and 1964 would be about the best as they were a bit meatier.

They're likely comparable to 60s Les Paul neck profiles - possible a tad bigger. I have a Hummingbird TV and have had some big neck guitars (LP 59 and a baseball bat strat neck)... Hummingbirds have never historically had big necks - which is why a "50s neck" on a Bird seems a bit strange. I personally love fat neck guitars, but not for acoustic due to having to cover more real estate for chords.

Is it possible, that gibson uses different neck profiles on j-45TVs???

The website says slim taper, some dealer websites say v neck. The two i've ever played had a rounded neck profile pretty similar to the neck profile of my TV Bird? :-k

I think they changed the specs starting this year

JC

Something tells me you would fird a Bird too slim, not narrow but thin.

It's leaning towards some Les Pauls or 335's and you gotta like that kind of elegance to cope'n'groove.

But, , , these are so fine nuanced and highly subjective matters that you need to feel it yourself. No way around it.

Good choice beside the 45 btw. . .

as you've said that's a deal breaker for other guitars in the past, will this one be hitting the sakes block due ot the skinny neck?

as you've said that's a deal breaker for other guitars in the past, will this one be hitting the sakes block due ot the skinny neck?

Im referring to my HB-TV which I would not call skinny at all. Its really medium to thckish. The AL SJ is a bit thicker, while the LG-2 is baseball bat. But the HBTV neck is definitely not skinny mate.

I have two skinny neck guitars, 69'er and 00-15, and they are also the two guitars that get the least amount of play.

Archived