Gibson Brands Forums

New for NAMM

GottaBeGibson

Gibson Acoustic, long known for providing the world of music with the most sought after acoustic instruments will debut a host of new models never before offered to the public along with the traditional Gibson Acoustic guitars, hand-crafted in Bozeman, Montana. The Gibson Acoustic SJ-200 Studio Modern Classic, SJ-200 Standard Modern Classic, J-45 Standard Modern Classic in Vintage Sunburst and Natural, J-45 Custom Modern Classic, Songwriter Dlx Standard Modern Classic and Songwriter Dlx Standard Cutaway Modern Classic will be among the newest models offered during the exhibit.
- from a Gibson press release

Interesting if not a tad confusing. Songwriter Deluxe Standard Modern Classic... it's deluxe, no it's standard, no it's a modern classic, no it's EVERYTHING rolled into one! I wonder if the Natural J-45 Standard Modern Classic spells the end of the J-50 (again).

- from a Gibson press release

Interesting if not a tad confusing. Songwriter Deluxe Standard Modern Classic... it's deluxe' date=' no it's standard, no it's a modern classic, no it's EVERYTHING rolled into one! I wonder if the Natural J-45 Standard Modern Classic spells the end of the J-50 (again).

[/quote']

Damn, I'm confused.=P~

Gibson's updated the acoustic products section with the new lineup. The "Modern Classic" tag seems to have been dropped. Other than that:

SJ-200 Studio is an SJ-150. SJ-100 is no more.

The J-50 is gone again, replaced by the J-45 Standard in Antique Natural finish (though no pic, likely has the J-45 sized guard).

J-45 Custom is a tarted up J-45 Rosewood, which it replaces. Arrowhead top binding and new abalone flourish on the headstock.

There's a Kris Kristofferson Southern Jumbo now.

Songwriter Deluxe line now has Standard, Custom, and Studio tags (and EC versions for each) - but it's basically a difference in inlays and bridge styles.

No 12-string Songwriter.

J-185 True Vintage is gone. J-185 only showing in Antique Natural - no Vintage Sunburst.

Oh my.... That J-200 studio looks really good -nice n'understated.... In saying that, the J45 custom and Kristofferson look a bit cool too. Damn, why do they do this!?!?!

Incidentally, I see they are doing a Maple dread masterbilt, and square shoulder R/W now too... I bet they're gonna be as rare as rocking horse do-do in the UK!

From what I can see:

Super Jumbos: SJ-300 becomes J-200 Custom with more abalone; SJ-150 becomes J-200 Studio; SJ-100 disappears.

Square Shoulders: Dove disappears

Round Shoulders: I have tired head and can't wade through the round shoulders yet.......

I like my Standard True Studio Classic Modern Vintage Custom Historic Signature Cutaway Shop Collection SJ200 just fine! No need for an upgrade here' date=' but it is nice to have options.[/quote']

lol! even with all the blended features i can still see some of us swapping out something on one of these.

No 12-string Songwriter.

I concur. There are no 12 strings on the revamped (and very slow) website.

I'm a huge fan of the 12 string acoustic. This is a sad day for me. I know there are plenty of alternative makers and some arguably better than Gibson but even so.........Gibson not making a 12 string!

Is this your future strategy Gibson?

Archived