Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Machine Heads

SkateMusicLife64

Agreed. You shouldn't really expect tuning machines to change the "stability" or whether the string stays where you put it. That's a function of whether the string is sliding smoothly over the nut and saddle. The difference in tuning machines is the feel and convenience of tuning. Older Kluson style machines feel a little bit stuck, so you have to yank them free by tuning down a smidge, then cure the gear backlash by tuning up to pitch. Newer cast/sealed machines are smoother. Any of them will stay put once the string is in tune.

Locking tuners are really convenient since yoy don't have to keep winding and winding when changing strings. But the stability of this type is kind of hyped as far as I see it.

• 4 weeks later...

ive been reading alot of reviews about my current tuners and everyone seems to complain about it. i do have problems staying in tune and i have had a setup recently. could it possibly be linked to that also rather than it being the tuning keys/nut problem?

It's invariably a nut problem. Slapping in some graphite lube may help but it's is not the solution. The nut slots need to be filed round - not V, not straight, not too small, not to big............... just right! The key to filing the nut is to have the right size nut files. Why the heck Gibson don't do a better job I'll never know because everyone complains about this. After this a little lube may help if you're still having problems. Unless the tuners are old, stripped and falling apart, 99.9% sure they are not the problem.

nope, my tuners are about 5 1/2 years...about the nut though, my low E is obviously sitting ON the nut, not fitting snugly into the nut or anything. low E does have buzz if i pluck really strong and its usually between the D and G strings that go out of tune. does that basically confirm that the nut needs a little work?

Archived