Gibson Brands Forums

Truss Rod...counterclockwise TIGHTENS, clockwise LOOSENS...what the?

The fabled manual (just a piece of paper really) says you must take the guitar to a qualified technician for truss rod adjustment. Not sure why they sometimes give you an alien key.

GC helpfully supplied me with the wrong trust rod wrench. Luckily it's just a 4mm allen head truss rod in my Epi.

Well, tightened it as far as I could counterclockwise

couple days later I was able to manage another 1/8th turn and now the buzz is completely gone and there is just the most tiny bit of relief lol...cant get a pick under there but can here the string clank on the fret when i press down at 5th-7th fret...before there was no clank, when the first was capoed and the 14th fretted, the string was on the frets

so wait another few days and give her another 1/8 turn and i should be good

tried pushing the neck as well didnt seem to do anything

Where are you located? If you live in an area that is currently humid & hot, you might try bringing the guitar into an air conditioned room for a couple days first. If there is any humidity expanding the wood, it will be hard to turn that truss rod.

Where are you located? If you live in an area that is currently humid & hot, you might try bringing the guitar into an air conditioned room for a couple days first. If there is any humidity expanding the wood, it will be hard to turn that truss rod.

I am in southeast michigan.

Bought the guitar a month ago, 20 degrees, snow on the ground

NOW its warming up, had a few 70 degree days (yesterday and today its back to 30's and it snowed yesterday)

I keep guitars in basement, so even when its cold out or a/c is on, its still a bit damp considering its a basement...maybe I should move guitar upstairs for a few days and see if that helps??

Nah, I doubt thats the problem. Its usually heat + humidity that binds them up, if at all. Its not damp enough this time of year to cause that...even in a basement.

I would probably take it to a local guitar shop that does adjustments and repairs and see if they can sort it out.

If it doesn't work because of a defective part....it should be covered by warranty.

Call customer service.

I emailed customer service and got a reply in like 10 minutes (I was impressed) and they gave me a few local dealers that do warrenty work ( NOT guitar center)...told me to take copy of receipt which I have...

I would probably take it to a local guitar shop that does adjustments and repairs and see if they can sort it out.

Well, that's two votes.....Otherwise, good luck. Glad to see you are making progress. The actual deflection should be effortlessly reached around .010".

What is the measurement after your latest adjustment?

Willy

Ive been tweaking this every few days...mostly 1/8 turns and have finally gotten relief...was even able to lower the action back to what I consider "low action" lol and with a final 1/8th turn monday night, there is relief and NO buzz at all...even when I slam the strings...

I did take the advice and tried to bend the neck a bit forward by hand every time I adjusted the truss, maybe that did the trick, or maybe it finally acclamated to the temp/humidity in my basement...

very happy i was able to get this where i wanted it without paying for a fix or waiting weeks for warranty work

Ive been tweaking this every few days...mostly 1/8 turns and have finally gotten relief...was even able to lower the action back to what I consider "low action" lol and with a final 1/8th turn monday night, there is relief and NO buzz at all...even when I slam the strings...

I did take the advice and tried to bend the neck a bit forward by hand every time I adjusted the truss, maybe that did the trick, or maybe it finally acclamated to the temp/humidity in my basement...

very happy i was able to get this where i wanted it without paying for a fix or waiting weeks for warranty work

Good to hear!

Like I said before, when the guy at GC initially adjusted my truss rod, he was pulling on the neck with quite a bit of force. More force than I would have ever thought to apply to a guitar neck. Its a good thing you did this over an extended period of time, too. Forcing a truss rod can be bad news.

• 1 year later...

If you are starring down the neck from the TOP of the head stock...

should go like-a this-a

Righty Tighty

Lefty Loosey..

It may seem obvious at first but it was a revelation to me that you had to be standing looking down the neck of the guitar and THEN you could turn "righty-tighty".I thought you turned it right as you faced the durn thing! That's bass akwards.The devil's in the details,"kidblast". Thanks!

Always good to see a happy ending.

I posted about my truss rod having a delayed response. It seems quite common. A kind soul (Bence?) advised me to leave further adjustment for a few days (I had adjusted in 1/4 turns). It was good advice and the neck eventually moved where it needed to be.

Forums are great aren't they?

Archived