Gibson Brands Forums

Brazilian rosewood

Tim Plains

Anybody have a guitar with Brazilian rosewood? Not just a Les Paul, but any guitar. What are your thoughts on it?

Let's not turn this into a debate on how excellent or over-rated Brazilian rosewood is. It is what it is.

I'd love to get my hands on a certified LP reissue with Brazilian rosewood but they are pretty rare. Not only that, but since there aren't any locally, I'd be forced to buy the guitar online and I'm not about to do that given the amout these things cost.

Meaning, you don't know if you have one, or you're not saying which one?

Tonewise ' date=' I hear nothing...[/quote']

This is obviously hard to answer...if not impossible. There are many components that come together to form a great guitar and the fretboard is just one of them, be it a small one. It's not like you can replace the fretboard and compare the sound difference.

PRS had a couple of electric models a few years ago with entire necks made from Brazilian Rosewood. One was the McKarthy model and the other was a Santana model. Beautiful guitars.

There's an article in the latest Fretboard Journal; everything you wanted to know about Brazilian Rosewood but was afraid to ask. Including interviews with the main man from Martin and PRS. Great article.

It seems all the major players have used the stuff. Some more then others. Oh and all of the manufactures have their diminishing stocks of it (wink wink nudge nudge).

My SRV Strat is one of the ones with Brazillion rosewood.

The feel is a bit smoother than the rosewood on my 78 LP due to the grain being tighter. It's not as tight/solid as ebony but for rosewood it's dog gone close. As for tone I wouldn't be able to compare unless I had the SRV with Pao Ferro board to play side by side.

It is beautiful though.

My SRV Strat is one of the ones with Brazillion rosewood.

Nice!...Only the first runs of the SRV had Brazillian Rosewood. Then they went to Pao Ferro which was still nice, but lighter in colour.

Any chance of posting some pics of the SRV??

Nice!...Only the first runs of the SRV had Brazillian Rosewood. Then they went to Pao Ferro which was still nice' date=' but lighter in colour.

Any chance of posting some pics of the SRV??[/quote']

I don't have any close up shots of the board, but perhaps I can make the time this weekend. I ordered this guitar from Allens Music in Birmingham, AL before the owner went to the NAMM show where it was first shown publically. At the show he orderd mine plus 2 others at that time.

Dadsguitars_0019.jpg

BTW... A violation of the CITIES treaty (part of the Endangered Species Act) can bring a $50k fine and up to 1 year in jail per violation.

Appendix I gives a compete list of all the bad stuff you wish was stuck on the side of your favorite guitar. These include Ivory, Brazilian Rosewood, South African White Abalone, (some specific kind) of tortus and assorted other stuff.

How do you know? I have a '61 Melody Maker.

I sanded the paint off the body when I was young and worked in a body shop. It was pretty banged up by them. Turns out it's a 1 piece Mahogany. Had it clear coated with poly, yea, we thought that was the thing to do in 1979.

Anyhow, what's the fretboard on that?

I sure as hell don't know.

Murph.

don't have any close up shots of the board, but perhaps I can make the time this weekend. I ordered this guitar from Allens Music in Birmingham, AL before the owner went to the NAMM show where it was first shown publically. At the show he orderd mine plus 2 others at that time.

That was a feast to my eyes!....Id love to see more pics. On my SRV I changed the pickguard. People expect too much when they see SRV looking them in the face.

That was a feast to my eyes!....Id love to see more pics. On my SRV I changed the pickguard. People expect too much when they see SRV looking them in the face.

I just can't seem to get good close-up shots with this camera. I miss a good old 35mm SLR camera - With those I know how to take good pics.

IMG_2534_0490_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2535_0491_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2536_0492_edited-1.jpg

IMG_2539_0495_edited-1.jpg

Yes I have 5 springs on there. I have GHS Bright Flats in 13 guage tuned 1/2 step down.

IMG_2537_0493_edited-1.jpg

Beautiful guitar. Its also a collectors item. Hang on to her.

Funny you say that because until recently I didn't know how rare the Brazillion rosewood SRV was. I saw a guy on ebay about 6 months ago starting his bid at $15,000 yeah that's right. He didn't get any takers.

I don't think it's that rare/valuable, but I've heard they may have only made around 500 with Braz boards? I've also heard fender won't fully release how many they made that way?

PRS SingleCut Artist, no pics handy, Braz board...

The guitar itself is amazing but as far as the Braz. affecting the tone...? IDK.

Personally, I don't think Brazilian is that big a deal. A good piece of rosewood will beat a lesser piece no matter

what type, IMO. Although, a dark, figured Braz. board does look Killer... I've seen some fugly ones too so

like I said "a good piece...."

• 3 months later...

I have a confirmed Brazilian Rosewood Slab on my maple neck Fender Strat (Made/Customized by Pat's Guitars) 57 Strat Body with Warmoth Maple neck and Brazilian "slab" see pics (all upgraded parts and custom features Jensen Tone caps, CTS pots, 57 -62 50th anniversary Fender PUPS, Stainless steel hardened cold rolled Callaham Bridge with short arm tremolo, real mother of pearl dot markers, Stainless Steel Jumbo frets, bone nut, CRL 5 way switch, switchcraft jacks (silver solder and black electrical conductive shielding in cavity and on back of faceplate grounded to common central ground point for hum elimination - throughout), extremely low action - plays lightning fast like hot butter - back of neck satin finish, headstock gloss finish for protection and looks. 57 - 50th Anniversary Fender Alder Body - thin nitro white transparent finish (can see grain), faux Abalone faceplate and rear plate match perfectly with the real mother of pearl neck marker dots and white Nitro finish complimented perfectly with the CHOCLATE BROWN BURLED BRAZILIAN ROSEWOOD SLAB BOARD - the 57 anniversary body is deep contoured for a great hugging fit and the entire guitar weighs in at exactly 8lbs.

Chris

BrazilianRosewoodinlay.jpg

brazilcloseup.jpg

brazil2Closeup.jpg

voodoll.jpg

warmothneck.jpg

caseopen1.jpg

fullstratagainstverb.jpg

Archived