Gibson Brands Forums

amp buzz

blindboygrunt

when I play an open A string I get a buzz from the amp.

I really don't think it's fret buzz.

Sounds more like a resonance, if that makes .a nasty electronic hum/buzz.

If I turn the feedback nob down it takes it away, but it doesn't bother the low E , which I found odd.

but I'm no expert with equipment by any means.

anyone got any ideas ?

I had that problem once. After I determined it wasn't my guitar, I started looking at my amp. (an old Crate Telluride). I found one of the chassis screws was loose. I went through the whole amp and re=tightened every screw or bolt I could find. After that, problem solved. I hope it works for you!

Not to be a "smartass" bbg, but what makes you think a solid state Marshall is a "reliable" acoustic amplification device?....Do the people that you bought it from provide 'tech services'?.....I thought not!

Most of this modern day amp business is pure" play and bury" stuff.....I work on amps.....SState, my least favorite and with the invention of PC boards.....PC stands for "pure crap"....

My standard 'repair' procedure is to hit nearly every PC solder joint with a a hot point and a bit of solder. It 'fixes' nearly 75% of 'issues'. It is boring and and a BIG PIA. I charge appropriately. Especially since PC boards have to be 'freed and flipped' before doing this. And then have to be flipped and re-assembled to test again!

Sorry to "carry on".....hope you get your "buzz" on.....errrr FIXED!

PS.....The 'easiest amps to work on are the old 60's Fender Tube amps. Point to point wiring with the components 'straight up'.....I

know them like the back of my hand. Ever played your acoustic through a Twin Reverb ?? I didn't think so [unsure]

Some of the boys over here are enjoying the Bose systems for acoustic.

Not to say that they would be free of PCB worries either, But.....

when I play an open A string I get a buzz from the amp.

I really don't think it's fret buzz.

Sounds more like a resonance, if that makes .a nasty electronic hum/buzz.

If I turn the feedback nob down it takes it away, but it doesn't bother the low E , which I found odd.

but I'm no expert with equipment by any means.

anyone got any ideas ?

You might have bumped the u/s pickup out of place? Weirdo things happen if they are not correct. Worth checking. It may also have the cause of some mystery problems in my car, Strat, computer and amp - dog hair!

BluesKing777.

Not to be a "smartass" bbg, but what makes you think a solid state Marshall is a "reliable" acoustic amplification device?....Do the people that you bought it from provide 'tech services'?.....I thought not!

I bought it off a guy in a car park . no tech services provided :)

Hey rod, ...

The little marshall was an impulse buy (based on good reviews though) ...

I would much prefer to use classic gear , while I'm not a technophobe , I'd be be interested in old school gear.

what would you point me towards for singing and playing ? pub gigs .. home practice etc

cheers buddy

I would much prefer to use classic gear,what would you point me towards for singing and playing ? pub gigs .. home practice etc.

I've really been enjoying my new Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Re-issue. Unbelievable. [thumbup]

there's no mic slot larry:-/

I recommend Shure sm58/57 and my Allen & Heath 4 channel mixer (again) and a powered JBL. The A&H also has a boosted channel for u/s pickups....

Singing in a Fender is crap - my first good amp - unless you want to sound like some distorted Chicago 40s vocal sounds.

BluesKing777.

Archived