Gibson Brands Forums

J45 2006

fauvent

Hello guys,

I started yesterday a topic about the rosette on a guitar which is "suspiciously" in a right position on a 2006 guitar. As you may know should be that way. The options are only two: thats a fake gibson, or the previews owner moved. Do you think can be another explanation?

I would appreciate very very much your opinion. Here I leave you guys the link of the guitar:

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-j-45-2006-vintage-sunburst

Regards!

Hi Fauvent,

It looks plenty real to me, and the pickguard may simply have been moved. No big deal--it happens; these days, they are attached with benign adhesive. I think the price is a bit steep; that sort of cash ought to be close to used TV prices.

Sometimes, in order to get a realistic idea of what a given guitar is selling for you might do a search of completed Ebay auctions: focus only on those items that sold.

Hi Fauvent,

It looks plenty real to me, and the pickguard may simply have been moved. No big deal--it happens; these days, they are attached with benign adhesive. I think the price is a bit steep; that sort of cash ought to be close to used TV prices.

Sometimes, in order to get a realistic idea of what a given guitar is selling for you might do a search of completed Ebay auctions: focus only on those items that sold.

Thanks your response Yorick! Actually that's my main concern. My whole point buying this guitar is that I dont like any of the models that you can buy new. Also I asked about the papers, and he said that it doesnt have papers... Whats the deal with the papers???? No one selling a used guitar has them... Everyone dump them or what???? I would never do that If I buy a new J45...

I like the TV but i dont like the 42 logo, I like the standar but i dont like the logo on mother of pearl and the rotomatics tuners... so, you know I don't have a lot of options...

Actually I've been ebay-searching since january, and I can only find the same... TV, Standards with rotomatics tuners, etc...

I don't think this guy is on ebay... he has a store in phoenix or tucson, arizona... He told me "im in the business for 20 years now and I know how a fake gibson looks like..." But you know Im just being careful...

I think you can find one a lot cheaper than that one. Used usually running around $1500 to 1700.

Thank you paul,

Actually its my second used J45 I buy... I sold the other one for about that price 1500 - 1700 it was in a pretty good conditions... this guy told me "its like new" that's why I am willing to pay! Anyway as I said, Its actually pretty hard to find a 2006 or "historic collection"... I have been looking for it since January!

Regards!

Its pretty hard to find a 2006 or "historic collection"... I have been looking for it since January!
Missed mine, which was up on the forum in May (done gone now). Anyway, if you dont mind natural tops and a deeper neck, you might look into the new J35s. Otherwise, keep browsing-- people are always recycling. UMGF, AGF, the 'bay, Craigs (beware scams). Might try reverb.com--that's where mine sold. G'luck.

Missed mine, which was up on the forum in May (done gone now). Anyway, if you dont mind natural tops and a deeper neck, you might look into the new J35s. Otherwise, keep browsing-- people are always recycling. UMGF, AGF, the 'bay, Craigs (beware scams). Might try reverb.com--that's where mine sold. G'luck.

Serously Rambler? I was actually about to post in the trades section "J45 wanted / Historic collection " Well that's a pity, I don't know why i didnt start from here... Do you guys think that will be a reissue of that style somewhere in the near future?

Regards!

Hi Fauvent,

I understand--you want the 50s/60s headstock and Kluson singles. While I'm not sure that they'll run off any identical guitars to the early 60s specs, there are several avenues you may wish to pursue.

The Historic Collection was just one iteration of the J 45 before Gibby went to the TV with the Banner. Another was the "Early J 45" and I think that would suit you, too. In addition, there are short-run guitars made for dealers such as Fullers in Houston. You might check with Fullers--do a youtube search, and give them a call to see what they have in stock; they aren't allowed to post inventory on the web (Gibson restricts such marketing). I play a 96 Fullers J 50; it has the block headstock lettering and single Kluson clones.

Your guitar is out there somewhere. I'd hesitate about 2000 for a standard J 45. I think 1600 to 1700 for a standard 45 seems the norm?

You probably don't want one of the various late 60s reissues, unless you're fond of the thinner neck. These also have the adj bridge that some folks dislike.

So what I think you want is a guitar similar to the late 50s, early 60s specs.

Thank you Yorick for so good information. Actually I love the look of the new J45 standard. The only think I would change will the headstock. I saw the "early j45" model... looks nice, but I think the closest model for me will be a historic collection model... in short terms, exactly the model before the "script logo". I will certaintly call the folks in huston... Fullers guitars.

Do you know by the way another store like that with "special runs" I know "dr guitars" in Japan... but you know i would like better one in the US.

Regards!

Hi Fauvent,

Wildwood Guitars in Colorado also have had Gibson run off some special models. You can do a youtube search on them. I've not played one of theirs, but others here probably have.

Good luck with your search. I'm sure there's a guitar out there for you. The 45 has had many different variations in the past couple of decades.

I don't know if you ever check in on Acoustic Guitar Forum (AGF); you might bookmark the AGF classifieds.

Cheers,

jim

I think you would like the J45 TV. Sounds like it's everything you are looking for.

I picked up a used one that was literally brand new, just made this past April that had not even been played for $2150. I really like it.

I've had a J45 Std that was nice that I sold on the forum for $1250. I also have a J45 Legend and a older J50.

I checked around and could have gotten a brand new TV for $2500. I could probably get a new J45 Std for around $1850

Good luck shopping.

Hi Fauvent,

Wildwood Guitars in Colorado also have had Gibson run off some special models. You can do a youtube search on them. I've not played one of theirs, but others here probably have.

Good luck with your search. I'm sure there's a guitar out there for you. The 45 has had many different variations in the past couple of decades.

I don't know if you ever check in on Acoustic Guitar Forum (AGF); you might bookmark the AGF classifieds.

Cheers,

jim

Yeah, that sounds great. Thank you for all the good information! I will check all that stores!

Regards!

I think you would like the J45 TV. Sounds like it's everything you are looking for.

I picked up a used one that was literally brand new, just made this past April that had not even been played for $2150. I really like it.

I've had a J45 Std that was nice that I sold on the forum for $1250. I also have a J45 Legend and a older J50.

I checked around and could have gotten a brand new TV for $2500. I could probably get a new J45 Std for around $1850

Good luck shopping.

Hello Dave F,

Thanks for your advice. Do you really think you can buy a new J45 standar for 1850 dlls? If so can you give some instruction!?

Regards!

I have been to Wildwood Guitars a bunch of times. It is a great store and great people. I live in Virginia but every time I go to Denver I drive over to Wildwood. They have good service, good sales staff and a LOT of guitars!

IMG_20130923_152039.jpg

Here is my historic with pick guard in factory place.

IMG_20130925_111248.jpg

and here is same guitar after I changed the guard to 'correct' place.

It's not a fake. I just thought I'd give you an example of the fact that people do move the pickguards and if I ever sell (doubtful) I certainly wouldn't be putting the pick guard back where it was .

its a fantastic guitar and I hope you get your hands on one.

good luck in your search

I envy you! Great guitar. That's the exact model I want... if you want to sell it one day... let me know! Just want to know... didn't let a line or a sign the glue after you moved the pickguard?????

Regards!

I envy you! Great guitar. That's the exact model I want... if you want to sell it one day... let me know! Just want to know... didn't let a line or a sign the glue after you moved the pickguard?????

Regards!

pickguard was easy moved. no troubles at all. It's a 2005 model , but I live in Ireland so there's not much fading from the sun ! so no marks left from original pickguard.

pickguard was easy moved. no troubles at all. It's a 2005 model , but I live in Ireland so there's not much fading from the sun ! so no marks left from original pickguard.

Thank you for the info blindboygrunt,

Regards!

FYi Just posted on trading post.

Thank you Rambler,

I saw your guitar in Youtube... wounderfull guitar! The point is that i am searching for the "traditional head stock" with the gold logo and kluston tunners. Anyway, thank you very much for let me know!

Regards!

The point is that i am searching for the "traditional head stock" with the gold logo and kluston tunners. Anyway, thank you very much for let me know!

Gibsons have not sported Kluson tuners since before they started building them in Bozeman. What you get today are Gotoh-made "Kluson type" tuners. The Kluson company in Chicago is long gone.

Gibsons have not sported Kluson tuners since before they started building them in Bozeman. What you get today are Gotoh-made "Kluson type" tuners. The Kluson company in Chicago is long gone.

Hello zombywoof,

Thank you for the info. So I can see I am wrong. Maybe I don't know how to call that kind of tuners, but I mean the white button ones. That ones you can see in all standards before 2007. The ones you can see in the true vintage. How do you call them?

Regards!

If you can find an older standard (MC) and retro fit different tuners you will have the appointments you want. They may be easier to find. The MC has a wider nut, which fits better for most people.

chasAK

• 4 weeks later...

If you can find an older standard (MC) and retro fit different tuners you will have the appointments you want. They may be easier to find. The MC has a wider nut, which fits better for most people.

chasAK

Hello chasAK,

Exactly, I think that's the exact model I want a Modern classic... I have been looking for one since January. Still didn't find one :(

Regards!

Archived