Gibson Brands Forums

EPIPHONE G-400 weight

aomena

Hi, guys please help me with this.

i own 2 Epiphone g-400(cherry and black) one weights at least 2lb heavier than the other!

everything is stock on both.

maybe one of them is not mahogany?

their serial numbers are:

MC03031125(black heavier)

DW04052256(cherry red lighter)

i own 2 Epiphone g-400(cherry and black) one weights at least 2lb heavier than the other!

I've got one and it's like lead!

I hate the bloody thing!

I have two SG Specials, one black, one cherry. Both feel the same and are alot lighter than my Les Paul.

And a lot lighter than any G400 as well. You really can't compare an Epi Sg special to a G400.

Other than there shape, they really are completely different guitars.

Different wood, pups, tuners, and more.

I love my G400. Mine weighs in at about 8.3 lbs. One of my very favorite guitars.

My Epi Standard+ LP weighs 9.6 lbs.

If you're happy with them, then why worry about what the wood is called?

Just play them! [thumbup]

I know you're curious though.

Even wood of the same kind can vary in it's density. The ebony one is probably made of some denser

type of mahogany (or I should say, "their version of mahogany").

My 1996 Epi SG Junior is made of alder and only weighs 6.8 lbs.! :)

Just weighed my Korina G400 today, it'll ship out Monday, so I was looking at shipping weight. 6.4 pounds. I liked it, but I like hollow body/semi-hollows better, I guess. Beside, selling it allowed me to finally afford a Guild acoustic 12. I've been wanting one for a long time.

And a lot lighter than any G400 as well. You really can't compare an Epi Sg special to a G400.

Other than there shape, they really are completely different guitars.

Different wood, pups, tuners, and more.

I love my G400. Mine weighs in at about 8.3 lbs. One of my very favorite guitars.

My Epi Standard+ LP weighs 9.6 lbs.

If you're happy with them, then why worry about what the wood is called?

Just play them! [thumbup]

I know you're curious though.

Even wood of the same kind can vary in it's density. The ebony one is probably made of some denser

type of mahogany (or I should say, "their version of mahogany").

My 1996 Epi SG Junior is made of alder and only weighs 6.8 lbs.! :)

Yea, I like them both.

I saw that they were both make in china but in different factories.

I guess it could be the same wood but with different densities.

I actually like the pickups that come with it. I had a Seymour' 59 and jb, but I didn't like them.

Pic!

I just realized that the 3way switch is also on a different location!

Is quality control this low there or there are different models? Lol

yeah, you have two different models. one is a G-400 and the other is a 1966 G-400. is that what you are asking?

yeah, you have two different models. one is a G-400 and the other is a 1966 G-400. is that what you are asking?

Actually OP said earlier that he had added the batwing pickguard to one of them.

They both look wrong to me. SGs are supposed to have slanting 1/4" jack-rhythm tone-rhythm vol-switch in a line with treble tone-vol right under them making a kind of parallelogram. Like this: 1961 50th anniversary Epi SG (i.e. my avatar)

He states he put the large pickguard on himself.

So it's not a 1966. :-k

They both look wrong to me. SGs are supposed to have slanting 1/4" jack-rhythm tone-rhythm vol-switch in a line with treble tone-vol right under them making a kind of parallelogram.

I was thinking the exact same thing. [thumbup]

I was thinking the exact same thing. [thumbup]

Odd thing is if I go to musicians friend, guitar center etc web sites and pull up used epiphone SGs none of them have their pots in that configuration the OP has on both his SGs. I wonder if this was just during the transition from Korean to Chinese made SGs that it happened? It seems pretty uncommon. If they were epi les pauls I'd wonder if they were fakes but I haven't seen a faked G400, as there's just not enough profit in faking G400s.

Edit: Here's the only one on GC's site I can find that looks pretty similar to OP's: Epi SG

Oh and another, a Goth SG

So I guess they're common enough. Wanna bet both of those are early 2000s model?

I had 2 Epi G-400's Im not sure if even though they are different models (copys of Gibson SG's) they are still all called G-400's.The Black Tony Iommi was a lot heavier than the White one with the EMG 81 and 85 and BTW they both just were killer axes.The Black TI had the strap lock on the horn from the factory and the white one had it on the back near where the neck glues in I believe like all Epi G-400's.It made the black one not neck heavy at all it was perfecty balanced,Wish they were all on the horn tip.Anyway I dont remember what the body wood was but again the black Iommi was a lot heavier.

MVC-052S-1.jpg

Actually OP said earlier that he had added the batwing pickguard to one of them.

They both look wrong to me. SGs are supposed to have slanting 1/4" jack-rhythm tone-rhythm vol-switch in a line with treble tone-vol right under them making a kind of parallelogram. Like this: 1961 50th anniversary Epi SG (i.e. my avatar)

ah...sorry, I read the first post when he said they were both stock. my bad.

back to the original question. it is not uncommon for the same model to have weight differences from guitar to guitar.

Archived