Gibson Brands Forums

NCMAD (cables, mic and yes AMP) Day

Rabs

So here it is, the SL5 arrived today and I went and got it along with a few other bits...

Mainly some cables and a 57 (as recommended by Ryan, cheers :)).. and a little stand for the mic so it will sit in front of the amp nicely... (and I got a cool curly cable ;))

DSC_0272_zps22e093eb.jpg

And a nice vintage style cable

DSC_0274_zps158c27f7.jpg

But obviously the big news is the amp.. and my god is this thing heavy...

DSC_0277_zps13dc4351.jpg

Ohhh, brand new and untouched by anyone [love]

DSC_0280_zpsc3acbc5b.jpg

DSCN0248_zpsc6ba90ba.jpg

And some gratuitous beauty shots (if I had a better camera :))

DSC_0287_zps47e3bf72.jpg

DSC_0291_zps5012b432.jpg

arty :P

DSCN0258_zps6e838fa2.jpg

Unfortunately its too late to play the thing now so that will have to wait until tomorrow evening (when I may do a video).. And I have the perfect spot for it in my bookcase thingy

DSCN0276_zps9442d7aa.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now a couple of questions... Whats with the two inputs there for the speaker cable? I can see what it says 1x8 or 1x16 but don't really understand what its for or when you would want to use one over the other?

DSCN0255_zpsa61ebbab.jpg

At first I thought it was how you switched between 1w and 5w... But no, theres a switch for that on the right

DSC_0296_zps43d4c708.jpg

And now before I turn it on tomorrow... Id really appreciate any advice on the dos and donts of owning and using a valve amp... Like I know you shouldn't turn it on without a load attached... and not to move it until it cools down and to wait till it warms up to start playing... Stuff like that..

Cheers :)

(edit: maybe I should just read the manual ;))

Now a couple of questions... Whats with the two inputs there for the speaker cable? I can see what it says 1x8 or 1x16 but don't really understand what its for or when you would want to use one over the other?

DSCN0255_zpsa61ebbab.jpg

Yeah, you should maybe read the manual. It's never a bad thing. Those are speaker outs - notice the ohm designation. You should be using the 16 ohm one for the Slash's internal speaker. The other is so you can drive just a big cab (4x12 say) But never... NEVER... run it without a speaker of some sort hooked up.

very good idea to read manual..

About those speaker outputs.

If you want to run an external speaker use either output.

And they give you the option of either 8 or 16 ohm.

Or if you change internal speaker to an 8 ohm you have an output.

very good idea to read manual..

About those speaker outputs.

If you want to run an external speaker use either output.

And they give you the option of either 8 or 16 ohm.

Or if you change internal speaker to an 8 ohm you have an output.

Ok nice... cheers guys...

So (not that I have to worry about it at the moment) how often does one need to change the valves out? And do you have to get the exact same ones?

So (not that I have to worry about it at the moment) how often does one need to change the valves out? And do you have to get the exact same ones?

Marshall are notorious for eating up power tubes (50 and 100 watt versions anyway) but I would imagine since you are pushing very low wattage overall through the EL34 that it will last a long time. The 3 12AX7s in the preamp stage are generally pretty durable so you could go years overall without needing to replace. If it starts sounding weak, that's usually a good sign it's time to replace tubes.

Ok nice... cheers guys...

Change them out if they start giving you problems, as far as I'm concerned. My '84 JCM800 still has the original tubes...some last longer than other. Depends on the type of tube, type of amp, volumes you're playing at, and obviously how long you play the amp for.

In terms of What tubes to use; as long as you're using the same type of tube (12AX7, EL84, 6L6 ect..) you're safe. Different manufacturers make different models of each tube that have different tonal properties and varying amounts of gain. Feel free to experiment.

-Ryan

Id really appreciate any advice on the dos and donts of owning and using a valve amp...

I have never had anything but tube amps until I got a couple small bedroom amps a couple years ago so I find those more a mystery to me..lol

As others have said. Read your manual. It's just an amp.

All I make sure I do is use the standby to warm up and cool down and not much else.

I haven't babied my boogie at all,,, it still works great 25 years later.

I put a new set of tubes in about 10 years ago. I had some harmonic issues so I just shotgunned them all.

Just have fun with it Rabs,, it ain't rocket science.

Change them out if they start giving you problems, as far as I'm concerned. My '84 JCM800 still has the original tubes...some last longer than other. Depends on the type of tube, type of amp, volumes you're playing at, and obviously how long you play the amp for.

In terms of What tubes to use; as long as you're using the same type of tube (12AX7, EL84, 6L6 ect..) you're safe. Different manufacturers make different models of each tube that have different tonal properties and varying amounts of gain. Feel free to experiment.

-Ryan

Cheers man.. maybe I will write that in that manual so I remember ;)

I have never had anything but tube amps until I got a couple small bedroom amps a couple years ago so I find those more a mystery to me..lol

All I make sure I do is use the standby to warm up and cool down and not much else.

I put a new set of tubes in about 10 years ago. I had some harmonic issues so I just shotgunned them all.

Just have fun with Rabs,, it ain't rocket science.

Yeah I hear yah man and usually I am very much like that.. I don't baby my LPs at all..

I just didn't want to do something stupid and obvious... This is a real special buy for me... I wanted one since they first came out and indeed the shop I got it from had 5 when I first ordered mine and I just looked and they are down to 2.. So I don't think they will be around much longer and im so happy I got one (thanks PPI refund :D).. Awesome!!!

Also, I notices in the OP you bought an SM57 and an XLR-1/4" cable...personally I would recommend an actual audio interface that plugs into your computer, and an XLR-XLR cable. The XLR-1/4" cables are rarely, if ever, used in recording...they're mainly for karaoke machines.

It'll probably work, but the quality may be a bit dodgy...

This is the interface I use. It's very good, especially at the price.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2

-Ryan

Also, I notices in the OP you bought an SM57 and an XLR-1/4" cable...personally I would recommend an actual audio interface that plugs into your computer, and an XLR-XLR cable. The XLR-1/4" cables are rarely, if ever, used in recording...they're mainly for karaoke machines.

It'll probably work, but the quality may be a bit dodgy...

This is the interface I use. It's very good, especially at the price.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2

-Ryan

Oh right I see... yeah I will look into that for sure... I had already spent too much money today lol... I will look around and do my research.. I just wanted something to get me up and running.. I actually bought two of those cables and the first one was a cheapy (as its all they had) so I popped to the other guitar shop and got a second one which is of very good quality. So we will see what I can get out of it.

The 8 ohm speaker output is just that, in case you want to use a 4x12, if you want to use it you must unplug the internal 16 ohm speaker.

Like Ryan says, that XLR to 1/4" TRS is probably not something you'll be able to use, at least not efficiently.

The 8 ohm speaker output is just that, in case you want to use a 4x12, if you want to use it you must unplug the internal 16 ohm speaker.

Like Ryan says, that XLR to 1/4" TRS is probably not something you'll be able to use, at least not efficiently.

Hmm, well I will try it out and see what happens.....

Cheers.

Here's a link to a digital copy of the manual btw...

Lol.. 2 pages.. is that it? :)

I would have thought theyd at least have instructions on how to change valves... Oh well.. Youtube to the rescue again ;)

Guest Farnsbarns

Just have fun with it Rabs,, it ain't rocket science.

I can save you a few minutes a time... There's no point using the standby to cool down. The whole point of standby is to keep the valve's heaters running without a signal so when you switch to standby the one thing it won't do is cool down. Just kill it, makes no difference.

looks like its been a great day Rabs , enjoy !

Thanks man and Yes indeedy...

Slash is one of the reasons I play electric guitar.. So this is pretty big for me... And I already have the perfect guitar to go with it (I also bought that guitar cos of Slash (and Page). :D

I am a happy man.

Archived