Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge adjustment Question

daveinspain

I restrung my Robot last night, taped down the tail piece and took off all the strings. I gave the ebony fretboard a good cleaning with Virtuoso Cleaner. Instead of putting the Virtuoso Polish on the fretboard too i gave it a good spray of Dr. Stingfellow's Lem-Oil, rubbed it in and got rid of the excess oil. Great! Restrung the guitar and got buzz city all over the neck, damn. Looking at the strings I noticed they were practically sitting on the bridge pickup. I forgot to tape the adjustment wheels... Duh! So now I have to find the right height again.

Do you guys loosen all the strings so the wheels are easy to turn by hand or leave them the way they are and turn the wheels with needle nose pliers?

loosen strings (if your going higher, i.e. more tension), and you can move them with your fingers easily enough,

stringing your strings one string at a time is better for the neck (keeps tension and neck in original position) and you dont have to worry about things getting messed up, it makes for more tedious cleaning but thats not a big deal

turn the wheels with needle nose pliers?

love your sense of humour.....er you were joking, right ?

A long, long time ago, I thought I would be able to turn some bridge screws with a screwdriver when the strings were at normal tension. It wasn't pretty....:)

Yeah make sure you do it once the strings are unwound and then turn the wheels slowly and carefully paying attention ro how far you are going.

I never do it myself because I usually mess it up anyways, so I cut out the angry part and just have my local shop just do it.

Leave the 2 E stings on, loosened slightly, remove the others. Still easy to clean everything and nothing falls off and no tape is required. You say you used Virtuoso cleaner on the fretboard? That sounds like a definite product don't. It's not a wood cleaner, it's a nitro cleaner and they warn against using it on utreated wood. Not sure how it would affect the fretboard.

Leave the 2 E stings on' date=' loosened slightly, remove the others. Still easy to clean everything and nothing falls off and no tape is required. You say you used Virtuoso cleaner on the fretboard? That sounds like a definite product don't. It's not a wood cleaner, it's a nitro cleaner and they warn against using it on utreated wood. Not sure how it would affect the fretboard.

[/quote']

Oops... Well its done and it did a nice job too.... I applied the virtuoso clearner and took it right off with plenty of dirt too... After that I gave it a good lem-oil massage and so far she seems to be a happy camper. thanks for the heads up though!!

Dave' date='

Your neck may have moved slightly (Relaxed).. Wait a few days with the new strings and Iam sure it will go back into its original position... I doubt you have adjusted the thumb wheels by accident...

Flight959[/quote']

Wait a few days??? Yeah right! I got it re adjusted and everything seems fine... It wasn't just a little off, the strings were practically lying on the frets. I'm sure I must have moved the wheels... They spin pretty easy when there is no tension on them. Anyway from now on I'll leave the two E strings on remove the others, clean replace with new strings and then do the E's....

Leave the 2 E stings on' date=' loosened slightly, remove the others. Still easy to clean everything and nothing falls off and no tape is required. You say you used Virtuoso cleaner on the fretboard? That sounds like a definite product don't. It's not a wood cleaner, it's a nitro cleaner and they warn against using it on utreated wood. Not sure how it would affect the fretboard.

[/quote']

Why didn't I think of that???? Good one!

love your sense of humour.....er you were joking' date=' right ?

A long, long time ago, I thought I would be able to turn some bridge screws with a screwdriver when the strings were at normal tension. It wasn't pretty....:) [/quote']

Actually I wasn't joking but let me explain.... I'm talking about my Robot guitar so I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the tension off the bridge, as I would normally do, to make the adjustments. I ended up disengaging the robot tuners to manually tune it down.... Wasn't a bad as I thought it would be. If you get too far off the regular tuning on a Robot it gets confused and can't find the notes.... But I worked it out.

It's not a problem if you need to readjust the thumbwheels. But the place to start is with the action, measured at the 12th fret. Adjust the bridge (thumbwheels) until that's as you want it, then adjust the pup height (should really set the neck relief first..., but I doubt the neck has moved much once back in tune (with same string gauges)).

good luck.

Archived