Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Hummingbird

slk

We're talking about a batch of issues here.

First, I don't understand the required "no electronics" schtick. I've refused to buy a pure acoustic since I got my first two of the first real AEs back in the early '70s - and stuff really has improved since those two Ovations, an Electric Legend and a "Country Artist" (nylon strung) that I've kept roughly 40 years and have gigged with off and on since they were new.

Second, to the specifics of the instruments.

Both apparently are solid spruce top with laminate mahogany back and sides. The bird/pro has the electric added, the AJ does not in this iteration.

Shapes... The square shoulder of the Bird is more like the Martin, but still retains a solid midtone range. The round shouldered AJ - I had an AE cutaway version - simply seems to sparkle more and the square shoulder likely more mid-y.

Then again, strings make a huge difference along with how it's to be played.

My own choice in big-body flattops has gone more to the slope shoulder than the square shoulder.

Why do I insist on AE versions rather than straight acoustic?

It's simply that in a saloon gig environment, even a country meeting house 'get together' for cowboy pickers and poets, you're less likely to have hassles with the AE than diddling with mikes, etc., with a pure acoustic. I've played on stage acoustic with fiddlers and old-time string bands and such, and it's seldom "right" even with a pro-level board and sound pros handling stuff. It can be, but...

That's why, for example, two "acoustic" picker/singer friends use 1950s Gibsons - an ES125 for one guy and a CF-100e for the other guy. Both basically are p90 mag pup electrics that sound "close enough" to electric. They will require a bit different messing with on some sort of amp or PA board, but they do sound surprisingly "acoustic" to an audience if that's desired, and it is for these guys.

Both are the real thing "cowboy poet/singers" who run ranches in country that tends to scare city folk, and if it doesn't, it should. They'll both almost certainly be pickin' at my favorite "usually annual" ranch country gathering in a cupla weeks. Last year a big blizzard brought a cancellation. It's the "whole" of the presentation, I think.

Some folks will have a differing opinion. A lot of Martin guys are the heavier "acoustic only" folks - but I note that the ones who regularly play for money on solo or small groups tend to use an AE.

Pay your money, take your choice. My dozen or so flattops all are AE, small, large or medium body size, 6 and 12-string.

m

My Indonesian made 2011 non electric Hummingbird is about as loud, warm, and full as my new IB 64' Texan. It makes all the AJ220's I've played sound like doo doo. I guess I got lucky. It has the 24.75" scale as some do indeed measure 25.4". Impeccable craftsmanship for this level...not even a single glue drip inside. Very close grained solid spruce top. I have noticed some do not have the middle brace strip on the back and some... like mine, do.

I was able to get the action incredibly low with very little buzz on only the A string in the lower frets! I had a 12" radius bone saddle made and now it sparkles. The nut is fine as is. They come up on ebay often for a song. It truly does have a "drop" of the real Gibby Hummingbird's honey in it's veins.

Maybe 2011 was a good batch? I've owned Westerly USA Guilds, Gretsch's,Martins, among many others and admit I am somewhat shocked by the full tone of this Bird.

1526652_10152179311259785_1608821474_n_zps8bd55a0e.jpg

00e0e_7buaYNzr4i5_600x450_zps0d1002d9.jpg

I have both the Epiphone AJ220S V/S ....and the 2008 Epiphone Hummingbird with Original Heritage Cherry Red burst... no pick up). ....It is a close call here between these two fine models. I truly LOVE both of these models....perhaps I just got lucky... But I do love both of these models 50/50 equally. I could not part with either one. I can not decide which one of mine is better...because BOTH are excellent in their own way and they compliment each other in my collection very much. I have never once picked either of them up to play that I was disappointed in the experience.

Both of these guitars are excellent, almost superior, for vocal singing. They both compliment the human voice in a highly flattering manner...they both step back in volume...just enough to give your voice front and center stage for vocals, show casing your voice and the song you are singing.

They do not blast loudly...they are not designed as a blue grass... LOUD instrument where volume is the most important factor.

Instead, these two models play sweetly, cleanly and clearly, with the exact volume level needed to make the human voice shine. ....Your voice, in my view, while singing, should ALWAYS...100% of the time...be a step or two louder than the instrument itself, because the human voice while singing MUST come first over even the tone and volume of the guitar...this is assuming you sing with your guitar. These two guitars do this. And they do it wonderfully. Find a good one of either model and you will love it. Try both, Try several..do not rush to buy one until one of them speaks to you...because when you find a guitar that does speak to you.... It will speak to you for life. Best luck to you. Let us know how you fare! ......Thanks! ....GL

I bought a new "second" Hummimng bird with a Very small imperfection in the finish for $75.00 from an on line shop.

This is the standard non-electric model, and it sounds and plays great.

But for the acoustic electric, they also had a new "second" Epiphone PR5 for $75.00

I have both the Epiphone AJ220S V/S ....and the 2008 Epiphone Hummingbird with Original Heritage Cherry Red burst... no pick up). ....It is a close call here between these two fine models. I truly LOVE both of these models....perhaps I just got lucky... But I do love both of these models 50/50 equally. I could not part with either one. I can not decide which one of mine is better...because BOTH are excellent in their own way and they compliment each other in my collection very much. I have never once picked either of them up to play that I was disappointed in the experience.

Both of these guitars are excellent, almost superior, for vocal singing. They both compliment the human voice in a highly flattering manner...they both step back in volume...just enough to give your voice front and center stage for vocals, show casing your voice and the song you are singing.

They do not blast loudly...they are not designed as a blue grass... LOUD instrument where volume is the most important factor.

Instead, these two models play sweetly, cleanly and clearly, with the exact volume level needed to make the human voice shine. ....Your voice, in my view, while singing, should ALWAYS...100% of the time...be a step or two louder than the instrument itself, because the human voice while singing MUST come first over even the tone and volume of the guitar...this is assuming you sing with your guitar. These two guitars do this. And they do it wonderfully. Find a good one of either model and you will love it. Try both, Try several..do not rush to buy one until one of them speaks to you...because when you find a guitar that does speak to you.... It will speak to you for life. Best luck to you. Let us know how you fare! ......Thanks! ....GL

I also own the same combo, the AJ220S and the 2008 Epiphone Hummingbird Artist with Original Heritage Cherry Red burst, no pick up, solid top. I'm in total agreement with GL's comments. I can't vouch for how they sound when singing, since I can't sing. I do enjoy the way both instruments sound and play. I'd say neither is better or worst than the other, they are just different.

hummingbird1_zpscd9b6ca5.jpg

Archived