Gibson Brands Forums

Tele wiring help

Rabs

Thanks man...

I think im gonna leave it for this time around and keep things simple.. But maybe for the future..

Plus I haven't seen that shop before so I now have somewhere else to look for parts.. so cheers :)

You're welcome, Rabs. And you're right, one can never know of enough shops when looking for something special. [biggrin][thumbup]

Why not wire it like a standard telecaster and go from there? They don't wire 'em like that for nothing. That way you'll start with the way most of 'em are done instead of doing the "yamma yamma blah blah" wiring and never seeing what it sounds like with normal wiring to start with.

Treble bleeds are great but I personally don't like them cause when you turn the volume down the tone stays the same. That's messed up in my book. That makes my brain hurt. Seriously.

It only takes like a half hour to rewire a Telecaster. You can easily try different stuff, but why not try the standard wiring to start with. At least then you'd know what you're talking about when you try some different wiring scheme. You can always try A-B'ing a treble bleed cap while you're working on it.

Why not wire it like a standard telecaster and go from there? They don't wire 'em like that for nothing. That way you'll start with the way most of 'em are done instead of doing the "yamma yamma blah blah" wiring and never seeing what it sounds like with normal wiring to start with.

Treble bleeds are great but I personally don't like them cause when you turn the volume down the tone stays the same. That's messed up in my book. That makes my brain hurt. Seriously.

It only takes like a half hour to rewire a Telecaster. You can easily try different stuff, but why not try the standard wiring to start with. At least then you'd know what you're talking about when you try some different wiring scheme. You can always try A-B'ing a treble bleed cap while you're working on it.

Agree on the A-B comparison for the treble bleed cap. One can experiment with different cap values, too. I also agree that .001µF is a bit exaggerated.

As for the two volume/two tone or two volume/one tone thing, differences will occur when turning both the volume controls down about the same. It will never sound like the pickups switched together and turned down in common by a master volume as typical for Fender Telecasters. However, it will be a Rabswood Custom guitar, so I think it's all in his imagination, desire, and his hands as well. I hope he will get his own, unique piece of guitar design done.

Worth repeating. Good posting here.

Wiring schemes make as much to the tone as pickups. Standard values for the pots and caps SHOULD be the starting point for any guitar, in my humble opinion. A modification isn't really a modification unless you are going FROM somewhere.

So, if you want a Tele, wire it like a Tele.

Now, of corse, what IS "standard" Tele wiring? Most Tele's are wired Strat-like with the switch choosing bridge, both, or neck pups, with master tone and volume controls. But it was not this way in the beginning. Some might say what makes a Tele a Tele is the absence of the tone control in the equation, which is what you get with the first way the 2-pup Broadcasters were done.

Yeah good point....

But then again the shape and size of my guitar will mean it probably wont ever sound like a Tele anyway... BUT in saying that its a solid maple body so I reckon its going to be real twangy :)

This is why I was looking at the diagram with the "dark" neck position to help give the guitar a well, darker sound if wanted. But then I loose the ability of having both pickups together position... Decisions decisions ;)

After I got through ranking on everybody about treble bleeds, I promptly went out to the shop and installed one on my tele. Sounds good. So there!! [flapper]

Ha! [thumbup] Especially handy in a band situation where you want to turn down, but not get muddy and disappear.

I like the bleed so much I put one in my old Gretsch Country Club. On the master volume anyway. I had forgotten about doing it (apparently years ago) until I was playing it this weekend.

Recently I very briefly owned a '58 Anniversary with a single FilterTron. Man, just back that volume off a touch and it went to pure mush. And not good mush. Had I kept it I would have whipped out the soldering pen on that one as well.

I'm not one to monkey with the stock wiring much. Not unless there's something horribly wrong. I consider mud at low volume to be 'horribly wrong'.

So I went to do my wiring today and realised...

I bought a pre wired unit... Duhhhhh #-o

Lol.. but this thread has still been useful...

So I take it I wire the white wires to the points I point to in this pic?

DSC_0699_zps5826035f.jpg

So I went to do my wiring today and realised...

I bought a pre wired unit... Duhhhhh #-o

Lol.. but this thread has still been useful...

So I take it I wire the white wires to the points I point to in this pic?

DSC_0699_zps5826035f.jpg

I think that the matching wiring would be bridge pickup hot to the tag on the left, neck pickup hot to the right one which is closer to the volume pot. On Fender pickups the white wire usually is the hot one. Don't know if it applies to third-party Fender style PUs though.

Archived