Gibson Brands Forums

Help: Static electricity noise on my R8

Bradmeister

Hi All!

Not sure if this is because it is wintery and dry or indicative of a problem. When I move my guitar on my body, it seems to pick up the static electricity pops and puts them out through my amplifier. I get this when I bend over or adjust my guitar when I have the strap on. (i.e., when it rubs on my shirt for a good distance)

I haven't had a problem with my other guitars in the past (haven't explicitly tested them yet, either).

Any advice? Is there something wrong with the wiring in my guitar or other part of my signal chain?

Thanks,

Brad

There is actually nothing wrong with your guitar or equipment. I have a 58 VOS LP,in this guitar and all R8's there are burstbucker pros pickups. Since it is a reissue the specs are the same as in the 58. The original 58 pickups or PAF's were not potted. Most guitars made today have potted pickups. Potted pickups are pick ups that are dipped in wax. The wax covers the metal and reduces the amount of static discharge through the guitar. Your Lp and most reissues have non-potted pickups allowing for that popping sound when u move close to the amp however, in my experience i have found non-potted pickups to allow for a more open tone and sound then potted pickups. Your other guitars probably have potted pickups which could explain why they do not make the same sound.

I would try another cable just to rule out that it isn't a noisy one. Sometimes you get one like that and it'll make some noise when you move it around that might sound similar to static electricity.

If it is indeed static electricity, try some of guitarslinger's suggestions to help eliminate static. You might also try polishing your guitar; perhaps a coat of polish will help reduce the problem if the finish is feeling particularly dry.

Yep, its a pain. As I type this its -30 celsius with the wind chill. Thats about -22 Fahrenheit.

The air is so dry here its terrible. I have 2 humidifiers going to keep the moisture up. All my guitars and equipment is in one room where I keep the moisture up to about 50%

Yep' date=' its a pain. As I type this its -30 celsius with the wind chill. Thats about -22 Fahrenheit.

The air is so dry here its terrible. I have 2 humidifiers going to keep the moisture up. All my guitars and equipment is in one room where I keep the moisture up to about 50%[/quote']

I doubt seriously that someone in Austin Texas is going to be having that exact same issue [-o<

Springer, your R8 should have a Burstbucker 1 in the neck & a Burstbucker 2 in the bridge. Burstbucker pro's are on the LP Standard and I believe a couple other guitars (standard faded?) in the USA line. If you bought your guitar used, then the person who sold it to you kept the good pickups and stuck you with the BB pros.

haha yeah ur right crossroadsnyc my bad. no i bought mine new my mistake i meant to say that i have burst buckers 1 and 2 which arent potted and other guitars have burstbucker pros which are potted and dont allow for the static discharge like the non-potted pickups do. But i like the non-potted ones better that was the point in buying a reissue

Gee thanks for raising this one Brad. I have an ES 175 reissue from the custom shop. Sometimes, but not all the time, I get annoying static noise when I just brush my hand or fingers over the scratchplate - which means you can hear static through the amp when playing quiet jazz chords as I stroke my hand. It is bizarre and I thought I had a dud, but the authoritative explanations on this page give me great relief.

Everything about my guitar is an authentic reissue, right down to the absence of a guitar strap point on the neck side of the guitar (apparently in the 50's you tied the guitar strap to the headstock)

So thanks to everyone who contributed to this. I now have my issue explained too.

A little shielding goes a long way. If you aren't afraid/hesitant/reluctant to mod your guitar just a little bit, StewMac sells this great copper shielding tape you can put in the control cavities. I have a 62 reissue Telecaster that had a very bad scratchy pickguard problem and it's dead silent now.

Surfpup, thanks for the advice. I can't believe the cavity isn't shielded already. Guess that's more of that "authentic" reissue stuff?

I have been to Dallas' date=' and the air was hot and very dry.....Any Texans want to vouch for me?[/quote']

Deepblue, it's usually pretty humid in Dallas, too, but they probably get a lot more West Texas dryness up there than we do. Maybe you just mistook "hotter than double hockey sticks" for dry. ;-)

-Brad

Archived