Gibson Brands Forums

I`ve just bought my first Guild acoustic!

frenchie1281734003

I am as many know a big fan of Gibson`s super jumbo`s. I have owned two J-200`s and still have my go to 94 J-100 Xtra (Hog). Just over a year or so ago I had to sell my 94 J-200 "Special" with Honduran Rosewood B&S`s to help fund my son`s Violin studies in Germany. My J-100 was getting lonely, so now it`s got this 94 Guild JV-52 to keep it company, and boy is this some guitar.

P1011109_zpsf1f07ed7.jpg

P1011108_zpsc50cba25.jpg

P1011104_zps9ccdaf71.jpg

P1011105_zps24db99fc.jpg

I have found out that this is a pretty rare guitar, they only made 28! all of them in 94.

It`s got a very nice feathery Sitka top with E.I.R. back and sides, one piece Mahogany neck with Ebony bridge and fretboard. The finish is satin nitro, and it sings and sustains like crazy! I bought it from the original owner, who got it in 94, and as he said, it`s hardly been played in all that time.

I couldn`t be happier, but I think the J-100 is getting a little jealous. [biggrin]

Steve.

Nice Guild.

So how does it compare to your J-100?

Congrats and enjoy. . B)

It`s completely different. The J-100 is warmth and balance personified with tons of mid range

The Guild is brighter, louder, still very balanced, but sounds like it`s got an inbuilt chorus pedal!

It`s a nice contrast to have.

Steve.

Wow, , , looks convincingly nice. A pleasure to see it these in the red plush case.

Something tells me it's not a scalloped guitar. I could be wrong.

Enjoy, , , , the difference too. . .

Yes it`s scallop topped! That was the whole point of the DV,JV,GV line, to produce a new guitar with a "V" for vintage tone. The DV-52 was the most successful of the line going from 93-2001. the JV super jumbo`s, and GV smaller Jumbo`s lasted a year or so.

From what I have recently learned, this range of Westerley Guilds are held in very high regard, and if they all sound like mine I can see why.

Steve.

Glad to hear that - even better after my book ^

Hold back on the scalloping, there is a bit of debate going on back at LTG about whether my model has shaved braces. I do know most of the DV-52s are scalloped braced. I will do a bit more digging around, and find a mirror!

Steve.

Congrats on a beautiful Guild !! I've got a Tacoma made Guild F47M that is brilliant ! As a matter of fact, if my house were burning to the ground and I had time to run in and save ONE of my guitars, it would be a coin flip b/w my Guild and my newly acquired Hummingbird. If I had time to save either my favorite guitar or my wife, I would save.......................my wife, but it would be a close call.

Yes it`s scallop topped! That was the whole point of the DV,JV,GV line, to produce a new guitar with a "V" for vintage tone. The DV-52 was the most successful of the line going from 93-2001. the JV super jumbo`s, and GV smaller Jumbo`s lasted a year or so.

From what I have recently learned, this range of Westerley Guilds are held in very high regard, and if they all sound like mine I can see why.

Steve.

Congratulation Steve, looks like a very fine guitar, and rare as it doesn't show up in Vintage Guitar Price Guide.

Could it have been made in Nashville, their custom shop opened in 1995? however in the Gruhns Guide there is only one reference for a DV52 with an EK prefix made 1993 so that sounds like Westerly. Taking that they only made a few must be yours.

There's no reference to a GV in Gruhns (that would be for me)but it is in Vintage Guitar PG 1993 so more strength to the 1993 likelihood on yours.

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks for the input Geoff, My JV-52 in Westerly made, and they only built them in 94 (28 in total). There was also a snazzier version, the JV-72, which had all the inlays and M.O.P. they made 23 of those 19 in 94, and another 4 in 95.

The GV-52 (Smaller 16" Jumbo)were also a one year production guitar, they made 225 in 94.

Plus another 59 of the upmarket GV-70 model, also in 94.

Here`s the Guild serial number list for 94-96:-

http://support.guildguitars.com/downloads/datingyourguild.pdf

The relevant info is on page 11.

Anyway, I`ve had the guitar a week now, and all I have done to it is tweak the truss rod, put in a new bone saddle, add a set of strings, and play. Possibly the least work I`ve done to an incoming guitar, it usually takes me a while to get them how I like them! [biggrin]

Steve.

Archived