Gibson Brands Forums

Hearing Protection

BIGBENDS

I've been thinking about trying the new style ear plugs that allow a small percentage of sound through to your ears. Has anyone tried these? I'm also the singer for the band, so how about the in ear monitors? Can you guys give some feedback on these? What brand do you guys use? I plan to try out a few this weekend at my local shop.

I use hearing protection for target shooting. I prefer to use Peltor muffs with maximum sound reduction, but electronic muffs are popular with some shooters, even though they don't cut the sound as much. They may be cheaper through shooting supply companies that through music supply companies. There are also noise reducing electronic ear plugs.

I don't like anything that delivers sound close to the ear drum because it does damage. In general distance from the sound is better than ear muffs, and ear muffs are better than ear buds. I do not use ear buds because I want to prevent hearing damage.

I use high-fidelity Etymotic ear plugs made by Westone.

I go to my ear doctor, the audiologist takes a mold of my ear canal and sends it to Westone. In a couple of weeks the ear plugs come back.

They are small, and hardly noticeable and have 2 filters to be inserted in the molds.

The 15 db filter is for all practical purposes flat attenuation.

The 25db filter rolls off the high end a bit.

IMHO these are the best you can get (and your hearing is priceless)

I bought a sound level meter from Radio Shack and I use whichever filter is best to attenuate the sound so that no more than 85db reaches my ears (A weighted - slow response).

I incurred mild ear damage from playing music professionally, and fortunately caught it before it became moderate or worse. Since I bought my first set, my ears have not gotten any worse.

Do yourself a favor and get some. I cannot stress that strongly enough.

Notes

We had a guitar player who played with us for a month or so who used ear plugs. I didn't think it was a big deal. I even use them at work. My drummer just couldn't get over it though. He actually seemed insulted by it. That was over a year ago and our drummer still talks about the guy with the bright orange ear plugs. BTW...he was a nice guy, but not much of a guitar player.

my point... some musicians think it's insulting. Not me.

Archived