Gibson Brands Forums

Did an open mic on Friday…..

onewilyfool

Soooooo….I did an open mic last Friday……the good, the bad, and the ugly…lol:

Sound man was great, had a nice simple system and could balance guitar pickup with guitar mic, and vocals very well. No player Monitor, but I could hear my guitar and voice very well, very good balance. I put my name down for position 4 on the list, BUT no one put their name ahead of mine, so I had t go first….lol. Reminds me of the old army joke, where the seargent asks for volunteers for a dangerous mission, to step forward. Everyone in the first row actually steps BACK, leaving the hapless new recruit standing in front by himself. I had a little bit of the "nerves" but I was aware enough to actually "SEE" when I tightened up vocally and guitar finger wise, and corrected it for the second set. As some of you know, I've played at a local coffee house acoustically,with no amplification. SOOOO, it is always a bit of a challenge to play with amps, in front of folks, with all the MISTAKES amplified….lol. Normally there is only a two song set per player, but rain caused a lower turnout, so I got a second set (good thing I have a lot of songs to go at any time!)…..first set I played:

1. "Love in Vain"

2. "Please don't talk about me when I'm gone"

Second set:

3. "Steam roller blues"

4. "In my life"

A good time was had by one and all! This was only my third open mic, but at each one, I have always fly full support from the crowd and especially the other open mic musicians.

I really admire people like you who can do this. I've noticed that when I try to play in front of friends and family I get tight and cannot play as well. I'm of course just a hack, but appreciate people like you who can go out there in public and play.

Fumble…as my good friend once told me…."You get better at open mic's by playing more open mic's…." It is very true….the more I played out in front of others, the better I got at playing in front of others…...

I'm 68, been playing for 50 years. I don't think I got much better in the last 49. I get very nervous at open mics. I've only done a few. I do play in a group now and played in a bluegrass group in the past. I find it much easier to perform with the group than alone. But I'm still nervous in both settings.

I find this to be both strange and discouraging as during my working career I often had to address large groups of our employees and those of our customers and that never bothered me. Of course there was no singing involved. [rolleyes]

Rich

Ya know, I get invites to attend an open mic at a local coffee house but I have not been to one in years. Don't know why as I always thought they were fun. Great place to polish up on "The Last Thing on My Mind" and perhaps break out a Fugs tune. Hey, maybe "LA Woman."

Archived