Gibson Brands Forums

I think I had a flashback to the 60's!

onewilyfool

Musee De La Musique in Paris have something similar in their experimental instruments collection. I can't remember if it's the same instrument, there are a few violins along these lines - the idea being to have as much air volume inside the instrument as possible without compromising the playability. The waist and treble side shoulder have to be fixed in size so as not to obstruct bowing and access to the top end of the fingerboard. Unfortunately I've not heard it.

It turns out an ex of this exorbitant instrument (if not the one shown) is located just around the corner from here.

Without any connection to this site, a friend just posted a self-taken shot of the monster-amorphous.

He says it's called Violino Arpa and was made in an attempt to reach a fuller timbre. The result was too nasale though, and the idea never saw production.

"You just can't keep coincidences down. . .

.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . E-minor7

It turns out an ex of this exorbitant instrument (if not the one shown) is located just around the corner from here.

Without any connection to this site, a friend just posted a self-taken shot of the monster-amorphous.

He says it's called Violino Arpa and was made in an attempt to reach a fuller timbre. The result was too nasale though, and the idea never saw production.

"You just can't keep coincidences down. . .

.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . E-minor7

Apparently made around 1800. I suspect the violin maker's wife used the wrong kind of mushrooms in his omelet that day.

Archived