Gibson Brands Forums

Christmas NGD and it's a Gibson.

buliwyf

A few months ago the wife told me to pick out a guitar for Christmas.Boy there a lot of Gibson,s out there but I know it had to be a LP so I started looking at a lot of catalogs. I noticed that every few days they came out with more and more types of LP's especially the 2013's and the 2014's.I came real close to buying a LP futura then I spotted a LP 70's tribute with the dirty fingers pickups.Then I spotted a guitar they must have slipped into the online site, 2014 Gibson Les Paul studio Hot Rod.I had not seen it before and out of a lot of online pages the only thing talked about was the paint job and the pin striping.Actually thats the first thing I liked (some didnt)but so what it was different finally not a burst or flame I really dig the difference.To me by looking at the description it it like an older issue classic.The only difference is no binding and no inlays.One set of pickups were always my favorite the ceramic 599t and 496 and the body is as thick as a standard.Plus locking tuners(my first). I played a bit yesterday and this thing rips and the clean is clear also.I'm not sure if the fat tap is anything different or just coil taps.The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the neck seems thick not like one of those 60's thinner ones. I had my choice of serial number and weight between 9.6 lbs to 10.11 lbs and I went with a 10 lbs one.BTW the black paint is the best job I have ever seen,very deep and mirror like.Nice hard shell case but no shroud and it's brown. No big deal but a black case would have looked better.I got it from American music it was $1649.00 till I noticed musicans friends had them for $1429.00 and american music matched their price.I gone on enough sorry but I only took one pic so far and I'll put up the link but I really dig this guitar.

46c4793b-6e66-4cc9-bf8e-55433f98a1b8_zpsec476f93.jpg

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPST2-LIST

A few months ago the wife told me to pick out a guitar for Christmas.Boy there a lot of Gibson,s out there but I know it had to be a LP so I started looking at a lot of catalogs. I noticed that every few days they came out with more and more types of LP's especially the 2013's and the 2014's.I came real close to buying a LP futura then I spotted a LP 70's tribute with the dirty fingers pickups.Then I spotted a guitar they must have slipped into the online site, 2014 Gibson Les Paul studio Hot Rod.I had not seen it before and out of a lot of online pages the only thing talked about was the paint job and the pin striping.Actually thats the first thing I liked (some didnt)but so what it was different finally not a burst or flame I really dig the difference.To me by looking at the description it it like an older issue classic.The only difference is no binding and no inlays.One set of pickups were always my favorite the ceramic 599t and 496 and the body is as thick as a standard.Plus locking tuners(my first). I played a bit yesterday and this thing rips and the clean is clear also.I'm not sure if the fat tap is anything different or just coil taps.The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the neck seems thick not like one of those 60's thinner ones. I had my choice of serial number and weight between 9.6 lbs to 10.11 lbs and I went with a 10 lbs one.BTW the black paint is the best job I have ever seen,very deep and mirror like.Nice hard shell case but no shroud and it's brown. No big deal but a black case would have looked better.I got it from American music it was $1649.00 till I noticed musicans friends had them for $1429.00 and american music matched their price.I gone on enough sorry but I only took one pic so far and I'll put up the link but I really dig this guitar.

46c4793b-6e66-4cc9-bf8e-55433f98a1b8_zpsec476f93.jpg

http://www.americanm...-GIB-LPST2-LIST

wow ! sweet

Sweet! Congrats. From what I understand the fat tap puts them through a very small capacitor, so it's not a complete coil tap which would kill each coil, but has the features of having it close to a coil tap without the humbucker loss. Those Gibson engineers are always up to something. [biggrin]

actually I dont mind the lack of inlays,a few years ago I owned a Gibson Gothic explorer and a Gothic Vee. I also would have rather this fretboard be made of a dark ebony but it still looks good to me and there are side dots.The only thing that I'm not used to is the 10 lbs this guitar weighs but it is as wide like a standard plus the paint is beautiful.It's funny and seems strange how many people are purists and if a LP isnt a stnd color or burst (dam i want a 59r also)but till then I really dig something different,btwI did thank the wife.Thanks all for looking have a happy new year.

This may petty or picky but I really wish my LP hot rod had a black case or anything but brown.I think it's a nice case and lately with Gibson I should be happy it came with a case,I just dont dig the brown.I've seen some great looking black cases with white lining that a lot of you got with your bursts that would look killer with a black guitar.Or I could just shut up and stop whining like a little redheaded step child.

This may petty or picky but I really wish my LP hot rod had a black case or anything but brown.I think it's a nice case and lately with Gibson I should be happy it came with a case,I just dont dig the brown.I've seen some great looking black cases with white lining that a lot of you got with your bursts that would look killer with a black guitar.Or I could just shut up and stop whining like a little redheaded step child.

Thanks D Ray I think it's just enough pin striping without going overboard.I do like the bursts and there are some killer LP's with beautiful bursts around here and especially my favorite,a white with gold hardware custom.I just thought lets go different this time and I'm not disapointed, the black paint is a mirror (finger prints are a *****)Oh woe is me.I have finally gotten to play it for some time this weekend and as I thought the ceramic pickups (500t and 496r) are some screamers.I did write Gibson with a few questions like what the hell this fat tap and orange drop cap does, guess I'm old school and just want two volumes and two tones. Someone here did explain it but lets see what Gibson says.So basickly I do dig it except I have smaller hands and the baseball sized neck has slowed my playing down a bit,BTW is 10 pounds heavy for a LP cause this one seems heavy as a boat anchor.Still I really dig it and am happy as hell I got it.Still not much info out there on it,wonder how many they made and why would Gibson make an unusual axe as this,good idea though.

Archived