Gibson Brands Forums

J200 custom pickguard

ritchie69

hi folks, just wanna share my last customization, I replaced the rubbery pickguard on my standard j200 with a self made custom scratchplate. I drawed the guard with illustrator then cutted and engraved with a laser machine. I decided to left out the rings around the rosette, I like better the look now. What do you think?Merry Christmas to all!!

imagejpg1-2.jpgimagejpg2-1.jpg

1419688663[/url]' post='1607286']

Impressive work.

Looks great on your J-200.

There might be quite a market for those. Are you going into businesss? . . B)

Thanks BK, no business here, just a great passion for gibson acoustics...If anyone is interested, I can suggest the steps to reproduce the original pickguard, the material that can be cutted/engraved with a cnc laser engraver, etc...

1419801634[/url]' post='1607746']

Looks awesome. You could certainly start your own side business.

Just one thing:

You have access to a laser?!?!? [thumbup]

FMA

Unfortunately no, but after some research I found a shop that makes laser engraving on plates at a reasonable price (the laser engraving is more accurate and cheaper than milling engraving, but needs to engrave 2 times to get the same depth of a milling cutter). Cut to shape, engraving filled with enamel, costs around 40 euros.

I am wildly impressed with some of the work done here on a few of these recent Pickguard threads. I am hesitant to mess with anything other than changing strings on a Gibson - you folks have a lot ore confidence than I - I really do find this to be amazing, and with excellent results! [thumbup]

Unfortunately no, but after some research I found a shop that makes laser engraving on plates at a reasonable price (the laser engraving is more accurate and cheaper than milling engraving, but needs to engrave 2 times to get the same depth of a milling cutter). Cut to shape, engraving filled with enamel, costs around 40 euros.

I have access to all that machinery. I'll have to put it on my list to try one. Maybe I'll make a lefty for my J200 std and have my own Dylan.

• 5 years later...
On 3/1/2020 at 7:22 PM, Brenny the left said:

Great pickguard Richie , could you consider making a leftie J200 for me? 🙏

Given this thread is six year old you might have some challenges with getting a response. However I had a custom guard made for my J-150 few years back that still looks like new and is of much better quality than the standard version you get on a J-200 these days. Check out the link below. Im sure htey can do a leftie.

https://www.mv-customguitars.com/product-category/pickguards/