Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson copy

vacamartin

It just came to me while over on the AGF. It's the CEO-8 TV (turkey vulture). Fits like a glove methinks.

There sure are a lot of negative comments about Martins choice for the CEO-8! The CEO-7 was right for the times....but this J-200 ugly duckling is going into the Martin "whoops" museum!

There is the difference between the CEO6 and CEO8 models and the CEO7, which is a home run. Seems to me the CEO 6 & 8 's are pokes (see the head stocks on both. They are digs at Gibson, as if Martin is saying "we can take your iconic guitars and out do you at your own game". I find that tacky. I love my Martins - don't get me wrong - but when they treat the guitars and history like a joke then so do I). The CEO7 has a regular Martin logo, and is just a tasteful wonderful excellent guitar.I would be proud to own it. One last point - I owned a Martin CEO4R, which was a Martin slope shoulder with rosewood b&s, with an M&T neck, and richlite fretboard and bridge. I had no issue buying a guitar with richlite. I did have an issue with the guitar sounding like muddy hell.

CEO 6:

ceo6_zpsf2628ac7.jpg

CEO 8:

CEO8_zpsba0bd62d.jpg

CEO 7:

ceo7_zps07327621.jpg

They are just getting back at Gibson for the Hummingbird/D-18 rip off….

I owned a Hummingbird back in the 60's and a D-18. they are 2 different animals. I wish I still had them!

Ren is a great guitar man. I still think they would sound and feel different.

My take is the same as someone mentioned. Martin is paying tribute to all of the great Gibsons from the past and that is the highest complement to Gibson.

I'd like to play the Martin CEO-8 and J-200 just to hear the difference in tone. Maybe Tony Polecastro will do a side by side comparison at Acoustic letter.

My take. Needlessly encroaching on another guys turf. Doesnt make sense, Martin being the "fine-arts" gutiar, whereas Gibson is a working dog. Does CFM think they are one-upping? If so, they need to have another think. Looks more like an Ephiphone gone wrong. Collins and Cruz do much better at the Gibson game. Which is weird, because the basic Martin look is simle elegance. Guess they lacks a feel for bling.

Fwiw, Ive had my hands on a CE)-4 and 7. They sound like Martins. Strong hi-lo and scopped mids.

I owned a Hummingbird back in the 60's and a D-18. they are 2 different animals. I wish I still had them!

Ren is a great guitar man. I still think they would sound and feel different.

My take is the same as someone mentioned. Martin is paying tribute to all of the great Gibsons from the past and that is the highest complement to Gibson.

I'd like to play the Martin CEO-8 and J-200 just to hear the difference in tone. Maybe Tony Polecastro will do a side by side comparison at Acoustic letter.

Martin has never made a guitar that sounds like a Gibson (or vice versa, I'd imagine). They may sometimes look inspire by Gibsons, or flat out look like Gibsons, but they sound like Martins. This will sound about as much like a J-200 as a D-18 sounds like a Hummingbird. This isn't a Gibson copy except in appearance, not to mention it's using sycamore for the back/sides, not maple.

I'd like to see Gibson come out with something aimed at the Taylor GSMini, looks like Martin did with the Dread Jr.

Hope that's not too far off topic??

I would too! There is the American Eagle LG-2. I wonder how that compares in size with the GS Mini, Dread Jr. and my personal 7-28. It would be neat to see Gibson try out that size/scale.

• 2 months later...

Based on a post I saw on the UMGF, it appears Martin shut down this model due to lawsuits from Gibson... Or legal action of some sort anyways.

If you bought one, or have the original NAMM one(s), hold on to it. You will see a $5000 guitar turn into a $100,000 guitar. Seriously!

I wonder why they didn't care, or seem to, about the CEO7?

The reason I bought it - it is a Martin based on a old Gibson L-00, which sounds like a Martin!

Or the CEO6 being a J45?

Photo:

Gibson Blues King, Martin CEO7, Gibson L-0:

ThreeElls1_zpsznd9b5hi.jpg

BluesKing777.

Archived