Gibson Brands Forums

NGD! The standard is king of J45's (at least today).

Jjunk

After a couple years of obsessing, I just acquired my first slope... a J-45 Standard. There were so many gorgeous sloped shoulder Gibsons to compare in the same room... a standard, elite rw, custom rw, tv, 15, 35, and even a second standard. Stunning selection, and yet I just could not stop coming back to the standard model. No matter how exotic, nothing could match that classic J-45 growl like the standard model... at least this particular one.

For what it's worth, the Elite Rosewood model was the most beautiful J I've ever seen (more of a cherry burst with insanely gorgeous back and sides). It sounded great and had the piano-sound thing going on, but was still a brighter sound than I wanted (slightly brighter than the 35).

Also worth noting, in true Gibson style the two J-45 standards were quite different from one another. The second one was much brighter, and both had been restrung at the dealer with pb strings.

Time to play!

Congratulations!! I played a 2014 J-45 locally that the store fella reckoned was the best sounding acoustic in the whole store. I could see why.

What is the finish on yours? Standard sunburst? I'd love to see yours, and I'd love to see that rosewood one you mentioned, too.

Yep, standard sunburst... I was pretty set on getting a burst.

I wish I had snapped a few pics of the rosewood one, it had a spectacular back. It was Indian Rosewood but clearly sawn differently than usual, almost looked like a few of the nicer walnut J15 backs I've seen.

Yep, standard sunburst... I was pretty set on getting a burst.

I wish I had snapped a few pics of the rosewood one, it had a spectacular back. It was Indian Rosewood but clearly sawn differently than usual, almost looked like a few of the nicer walnut J15 backs I've seen.

Was it the "mystic rosewood" that the Gibson marketing department talks about, but that Ren just calls slab-sawn and handpicked? :)

I have not gotten to play a J-15 yet, but I love that Gibson is using walnut. Martin needs to get on the walnut bandwagon. Walnut, cherry, sycamore, and so many others, are just as good as the traditional mahogany and rosewood (actually maple was the new dog in town at one point, and now it's fairly normal).

Of course, when you want a standard, you want a standard. I want my Hummingbird to be mahogany, although I am still losing sleep over a Hummingbird Quilt I played...

A sunburst mahogany J-45 is a good thing. I played one locally that was not the standard sunburst. Maybe it was that "cobra burst." It is probably the best guitar in the whole shop, even better than the Hummingbird Quilt I am lusting after. :) (But I like the Hummingbird Quilt better. Something about it.)

Congrats! I'm still looking for that 'one' J-45 standard, but as you point out, they can vary quite a bit from guitar to guitar and I've yet to find a really good one locally. But I keep looking.

Enjoy that new J-45!

DC

Congrats on finally finding that special J45! I found mine about a month ago, I keep telling my self that I do not need another guitar, but then I play it and all those bad thoughts go out the window! Go play it....

Congratulations on making that couple of years of obsession come true. You will love that guitar. There is nothing like making that thaught in your head that won't go away a reality. I think a lot of people here know how you feel. Does any one know how to delay the next obsession from starting??

Thanks everyone! I have fresh PB strings on it and can't get over the fullness and warmth... I'm used to the small bodies so this is really a treat to play. The Roto's will go away eventually...

Jesse - yes indeed it had to have been the Mystic Rosewood model, though it was only called a J45 Elite in the store. The Gibson rep was even there visiting at the time and couldn't figure it out, he had to call in to learn more and finally said it was a newer but discontinued model with a special species of rosewood (that was actually supposed to be mahogany?). Hmm.

As one who just joined the J45 club earlier this week I wanted to say congratulations and now (thankfully) I am also able to say I understand exactly how you feel [thumbup]

I haven't played any of my other guitars since I brought my Custom home which will of course pass but while me & my latest Gibson are on our honeymoon we're going to enjoy it.

Although I did not have the luxury of comparing it side by side with other J45's (mine is a 2011 model that was traded in at a non-Gibson dealer music store) I am thrilled with the way it sounds & plays and got a great price on it as well.

Again, congratulations & enjoy your new girl. :-({|=

Thanks Rev, and congrats to you too! What a gorgeous custom you found! Somehow those models have such an elegance to them without looking too blingy like many others... just beautiful guitars.

Archived