Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Les Paul New Features Questions

Macmutt

I'm about to purchase a new 2015 Les Paul standard, but I have concerns about the metal dust residue I've heard about from the tuning friction of the Geforce and the brass nut.

Plus i'm wondering about the battery life on the Geforce tuner, and how easy it is to buy and replace?

Does anyone know about either of these issues? Please let me know because, if the nut is going to need constant replacement, like even one every year or every other year, and the Geforce tuner battery likewise replacement, then it could be deal breaker for me.

So please let me know.

I'm about to purchase a new 2015 Les Paul standard, but I have concerns about the metal dust residue I've heard about from the tuning friction of the Geforce and the brass nut.

Plus i'm wondering about the battery life on the Geforce tuner, and how easy it is to buy and replace?

Does anyone know about either of these issues? Please let me know because, if the nut is going to need constant replacement, like even one every year or every other year, and the Geforce tuner battery likewise replacement, then it could be deal breaker for me.

So please let me know.

I have a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic. I got it Dec. 7 2014..

The G-force battery isn't an issue. I'm not sure on the cost but you can buy them. I'm still waiting on what Gison has to say about the zero fret nut. They got back to me the same day I e-mailed them. I don't know if mine is defective or if it's a long term issue. At first they were going to send a new one but then I was told that they want to talk more about it with me but they are out till tomorrow. As soon as I find out anything I will let you know. I haven't heard of anybody else haveing this issue yet. It doesn't affect the playabilty of the guitar or tuning or intonation at all. My main concern is that I don't want the dust to affect my fretboard. I'm either the first one to bring this up to Gibson or they think I just want an extra nut assembly for whatever reason. Either way Gibson did asure me that they WILL FIX THIS ISSUE FOR ME..

So please let me know.

Drog mentioned this just a few minutes ago on the topic I started about the Zero Fret Nut. I will mention this to Gibson Monday when I talk with them about my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic to see if they are upgrading there replacement Zero fret nut. Here is what Drog poster.. ( I had mentioned this issue before. There is a 2015 demo guitar in store that gets played daily, it has string marks into the "zero fret". It seems the brass Gibson is using is too soft, IMO. This guitar "zero fret" was smooth when it first arrived into that store).

Drog mentioned this just a few minutes ago on the topic I started about the Zero Fret Nut. I will mention this to Gibson Monday when I talk with them about my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic to see if they are upgrading there replacement Zero fret nut. Here is what Drog poster.. ( I had mentioned this issue before. There is a 2015 demo guitar in store that gets played daily, it has string marks into the "zero fret". It seems the brass Gibson is using is too soft, IMO. This guitar "zero fret" was smooth when it first arrived into that store).

Sorry man, but now i'm more leery than ever about buying a 2015 LP standard, i'm leaning towards a new PRS now.

I would be freaking out if I spent over $3000 and something like this happened I would be so pissed beyond belief i'd probably demand a refund from Gibson.

Have you thought about buying a nice second hand standard? There's plenty out there. One's without this G-Force and zero nut stuff, just regular standards.

[/quot

Well the thing is I've been waiting for this moment for some 20 odd years, and I don't want used anything, I want new, so if I could find an LP standard that fits my criteria of having the slim taper neck, burst buckers, tobacco or vintage burst....doesn't have to have coil tapping, but either way, I just don't want used.

Yup, fair 'nuff. Maybe, buy one of theses new and then changing out the parts you want your way. I do that. Makes it more expensive in the long run but at least your then getting what you want.

Sorry man, but now i'm more leery than ever about buying a 2015 LP standard, i'm leaning towards a new PRS now.

I would be freaking out if I spent over $3000 and something like this happened I would be so pissed beyond belief i'd probably demand a refund from Gibson.

I have an update on my Zero Fret Nut issue. Gibson is takeing care of it by sending me a replacement nut assembly with an updated platting method that should eliminate the issue with the metal dust on the fretboard and grooves wearing into the Zero Fret Nut.

I have an update on my Zero Fret Nut issue. Gibson is takeing care of it by sending me a replacement nut assembly with an updated platting method that should eliminate the issue with the metal dust on the fretboard and grooves wearing into the Zero Fret Nut.

Ok, well that's good news for you I suppose, but how many guitars are out there with this issue with the brass nut? and why should a person like me spend over $3500 and have to go through the hassle of contacting Gibson, removing my new strings and swapping out the nut for a replacement nut on a brand new $3500 guitar.

Doesn't that sound a bit crazy to have to do that, I can understand someone like yourself that already purchased the guitar not knowing about this nut issue, but I am fully aware of it, and that doesn't make me too eager to hand over my money, just do go through another ordeal after receiving it.

If Gibson made some kind of public announcement that they swapped out these nuts with the better replacements such as the one your getting, and I knew that they were already in stores then I would feel better about getting one, otherwise it looks like I might get a PRS.

Agreed! When I bought mine I didn't see anything about issues with the nut. Just people complaining about the G-Force tuning not being optional. As long as I get mine fixed I'm happy. I would rather have had the replacement on the guitar before I bought it. I will at least put up any issues I have with my model. If somebody had put up this issue before I bought mine I would have made sure the new version of the nut was on it before I bought it. I like all the new stuff so that wasn't an issue for me. The nut issue on the other hand is an issue. Hopefully no body else will have to find out the way I did. I've at least put the issue out there and hopefully they will know about it beforehand.

Ok, well that's good news for you I suppose, but how many guitars are out there with this issue with the brass nut? and why should a person like me spend over $3500 and have to go through the hassle of contacting Gibson, removing my new strings and swapping out the nut for a replacement nut on a brand new $3500 guitar.

Doesn't that sound a bit crazy to have to do that, I can understand someone like yourself that already purchased the guitar not knowing about this nut issue, but I am fully aware of it, and that doesn't make me too eager to hand over my money, just do go through another ordeal after receiving it.

If Gibson made some kind of public announcement that they swapped out these nuts with the better replacements such as the one your getting, and I knew that they were already in stores then I would feel better about getting one, otherwise it looks like I might get a PRS.

Why ask the question if you don't want to listen to the answers? Enjoy your PRS.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like people to also consider a dash of common sense.

If you're going to run the strings through the nut and tune it 50 times a day. The brass nut will easily outlast the plastic nut,

But if you buy an old guitar and decide To tune it only once per week you can convince yourself that the brass nut Is somehow inferior. But it performed 200 tunings versus one tuning

It's basic engineering principle if you buy a Lamborghini that runs at 10,000 RPM, you will have more problems than a Ford fiesta that never gets over 1800 RPM.

So then you can say they're making a Lamborghini engine out of Softer inferior metal And you want the engine replaced.

When you have a high-performance part you're likely to use it more. Which eventually makes unfair comparisons.

sdog

Archived