Gibson Brands Forums

Letting Go

cookieman15061

It's much more fun buying guitars compared to letting them go. Sold my Les Paul 2013 trad last night. Sorry to see her go but it's all for the greater good, my only daughters wedding! Next up the Gretsch White Falcon.

Unlike with daughters, you can most always get another guitar. Prioritize! Best wishes for her.

Guitars come and go, but for your daughters wedding ( only daughter in fact) you will get nothing but support on selling the guitar for the reason you did. I have bought, sold, trading literally hundreds of guitars in my 55 plus years of playing, and there were some I regretted selling, but always found one to replace the ones I regretted selling.

I am sure as you walk her down the isle, the memory of the guitar and why you sold it will out weigh any regrets you may have. Congratulations on your daughters up coming wedding.

Yeah it's all good. I've got a core group that I'll never sell and will be passed on to my kids and grandkids. Other than those anything is fair game. I've been blessed to have owned and played some beauties.

Sounds like your being blessed again

4H

Guitars are just things. The kids important. Not saying you're going here, however, I will say that the amount of $$ spent on weddings is way over the top IMHO. It don't make ya any more MARRIED to unload what is a hefty down payment on a home for an event. Most I have asked, maybe 5-8 yrs later, wish they hadn't spent that much and HAD paid it down on a home. Most don't even look at the $8000 in photo's they have either. [rolleyes]

Congrats on the wedding and best wishes to the Bride, Groom, and families.

Aster

I feel ya, Cookieman. You gotta do what ya gotta do.

I've been promising my youngest son, who graduates HS this year, and is an honors student set for college, a Macbook. He was supposed to get it by Christmas but other expenses have gotten in the way. I finally just sold my small Stag drum kit and SG Classic to help fund the Macbook. [crying]

That's the way it goes with guitars. Generally considered luxury items that are among the 1st to be sold in times of financial need. Regardless of how much we love them. I can't even begin to recall or count the number of guitars that have passed through my hands in the past 45 years. Sold, traded, pawned for various reasons. And honesty I don't regret losing most of them. Pretty run of the mill cheaper models that were easily replaced if not improved upon when the crisis was over. But there are a select few that I very grudgingly gave up and have ongoing regret over losing. Especially since the invent of the internet and the ability to find out what they would be worth today. Just cherished memories now. But that's life. You do what you gotta do. Condolences sent. ](*,)

Lol thanks for the encouraging words fellas but there isnt much I wouldn't do for my kids. Never thought I'd own some of the guitars I have. Back when I was a gigging musician I owned 1acoustic 1 electric and one amp. Wouldnt change a thing looking back now, great times.

Lol thanks for the encouraging words fellas but there isnt much I wouldn't do for my kids. Never thought I'd own some of the guitars I have. Back when I was a gigging musician I owned 1acoustic 1 electric and one amp. Wouldnt change a thing looking back now, great times.

And that's all that counts

Archived