Gibson Brands Forums

Close, but no cigar....

Marshall Paul

I think it's pretty easy to call 99% of all music "Ripoffs". So long as the tune grooves I don't much care.

I've posted this at least 4 time on here and I don;t think anyone has ever watched it but it's does a great job of breaking it all down.

Thanks Searcy!

Just watched the full movie.

Very cool, love the Star Wars and Tarantino stuff.

Muchas gracias amigo

Marcos

Thanks Searcy!

Just watched the full movie.

Very cool, love the Star Wars and Tarantino stuff.

Muchas gracias amigo

Marcos

Thanks for watching it guys. I thought it was very smart and well researched the way they did it. Loved the Zeplin segment and the Apple stuff in the last part too.

I used to think that originality mattered but it doesn't. People don't want originality. They want good ideas that never change. Change is bad. Even in art it's the same. People want the same thing over and over. We hear it all the time. "This isn't (Rock, rap, funk, pop, metal, jazz, prog, country, polka)! This is just CRAP! When I was a kid they knew how to make (Rock, rap, funk, pop, metal, jazz, prog, country, polka)!"

"Same as it every was..." [thumbup]

what bulls##t's this?

Wait, why bulls##t's?

I'm lost. Something is going wrong here, maybe due my poor english?

I don't get it.

Let me explain what I meant. It happened now a few times (and probably will hapen again) that someone has to come to me and ask me: you like Zepp (Alway's when im wearing a Zepp t-shirt)? After telling them: yeah, like em a lot! Those persons feel the need to tell me that they stole all their stuff.

And what I wanted to say is that now instead of explaining to them how less I care, and that I will keep listening their stuff no matter what root's it has, I simply will give them the link to the video Searcy posted.

If that's still bulls##t's, please tell me why.

Greetz Marcos

Oh, I'm sorry mate, my mistake. I thought you were having a shot at them.

It's not your english that's poor, it's my understanding and manners at times. Once again, very sorry mate, really am.

Of all the musicians who've plagiarized Chuck Berry over the years, I would venture to guess that Chuck Berry was, by far, the most prolific, if not the most atrocious in that his disregard for this fact is callous to the point that one might find themselves steeped in fremdschämen of a particularly richly-brewed variety on his behalf.

I am and have been a huge Zep Fan. I spent the latter part of the 70's stealing guitar riff's from Jimmy Page - appropriate given the theme of this thread.

The posted video on remix didn't do Zep any favors and I thought was confusing. But in a very intellectual authoritative sort of way. They defined covers and knock-off's as being legal. Then say Led Zeppelin clearly and illegally plagiarized by not giving credit and not changing the stolen parts enough. They made a point to state those 2 violations. Then the filmmaker says but in Zepplin's defense they never sued anyone. Then proceeded to play a bunch of stuff clearly influenced by Zeppelin but according to their own definition didn't illegally steal from them and were only doing what the whole point of the film was - remixing. How could they have sued? Maybe I'm just dense but I felt like I was watching a political documentary with an agenda but (here's where my denseness comes in) the agenda wasn't clear. Nicely done and professional looking as it was.

The posted video on remix didn't do Zep any favors and I thought was confusing. But in a very intellectual authoritative sort of way. They defined covers and knock-off's as being legal. Then say Led Zeppelin clearly and illegally plagiarized by not giving credit and not changing the stolen parts enough.

I think they're saying they basically did some covers, but didn't credit the songwriters, who should have gotten royalties. Most others credited the songwriters and paid the royalties.

Maybe I'm just dense but I felt like I was watching a political documentary with an agenda but (here's where my denseness comes in) the agenda wasn't clear. Nicely done and professional looking as it was.

It definitely took a message slant at the end, how screwed up the copyright/patent system is. I still say that part about movies and sequels and movies from comic books and movies from action toys! was just too funny....

And the overall idea that everything is basically a mental remix, hopefully with some small modification or emphasis... pretty much on point.

This only applied to their blues stuff. What they were doing (like everyone else at the time, including the Stones) was writing an interpretation of the old slow blues songs by re-writing the lyrics and reworking the music. Like I said, that was a common thing done by everyone playing the blues at the time (Clapton as well), not just Zep. Their original rock stuff was just that, original, and all theirs.

Even the old blues players themselves used to do this, including a lot of the famous ones.

Archived