Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J 45 True Vintage VS Gibson Advanced Jumbo

B1ues Boy

I found this on YouTube and I hear different sounds both very nice but after contacting Gibson and asking a few questions I found out the Gibson J-45 TV has hot hide glue applied to the neck and braces and a Adirondack Top with Adirondack Braces and on most Advanced Jumbos have Adirondack tops with Sitka bracing and hot hide glue for neck only

I think both guitars sounded great but I thought the J-45tv was more open sounding

what do you think

I've had a bunch of J-45s, mostly vintage ones, and will likely always have one around. Have a '52 now. Great guitar model.

But I've played two 1936 AJs and have owned an AJRI since 2003. I'd forget about where the hide glue is & other details and just say that the AJ is a different guitar than the J-45. Longer scale, also some bracing differences originally but also slight differences in dimensions & build. Whatever, it adds up to a guitar that sounds & feels different than the J-45.

The AJ is to me kinda a 'Gibson on steroids' in a good way. Very powerful yet versatile guitar.

About the video - I don't think the audio is picking up the differences I hear live between hog and rosewood. Too me, the hog has a more mellow/warm sound and the rosewood is a bit more metallic with more overtones.

As for playbility, scale length doesn't concern me, but it can sometimes make a difference in the sound. I've played a few J-45s and I've got a SJ TV (basically a J-45) - I like them very much. I also have an AJ with the Adi/Rosewood combo and it's my favorite of the Gibson slopes and dreads.

My AJ is my favorite too. I would love a 45TV though. They may look similar, but that's the end of it. two completely different guitars. Buy both! haha Really, they are so different, you need to play them both in person and see which you like best. totally different animals.

-Keith

I used to have a love for anything rosewood. But as I evolve as a musician I have found I lean toward the mahogany more. I've owned both and now I am the proud owner of a SJ. It has the balance I like, and none of the darkness and metallic overtones. Both are wonderful guitars, you can't go wrong with either of them.

GT

Archived