Gibson Brands Forums

Jeff Beck

MississippiBlue

Yeah hes a true master.. no one else quite like him... I went t see him with Clapton a few years back.. he blew Clapton out of the water in regards to the show he put on...

Heres a couple of vids I like

which is interesting because I've read at least once (in a Zeppelin biography from memory) that Jeff effectively doesn't do improvisation.

***EDIT - ah, found a link to the text:

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=3GLANRQAIdEC&pg=PT13&lpg=PT13&dq=when+giants+walked+the+earth+jeff+beck+improvisation&source=bl&ots=dRpUoIGcvF&sig=kS-5bqRtq1_LuWlZnGMkqQI106w&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Eb3rVPGyE8O4mwXWjILYDQ&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

strange. [confused]

which is interesting because I've read at least once (in a Zeppelin biography from memory) that Jeff effectively doesn't do improvisation.

***EDIT - ah, found a link to the text:

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=3GLANRQAIdEC&pg=PT13&lpg=PT13&dq=when+giants+walked+the+earth+jeff+beck+improvisation&source=bl&ots=dRpUoIGcvF&sig=kS-5bqRtq1_LuWlZnGMkqQI106w&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Eb3rVPGyE8O4mwXWjILYDQ&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

strange. [confused]

Yeah.. its hard to believe that someone at his level cant improvise at all...

I mean I am not a great player but even I can do it (sometimes :)) .....

I also once heard the same thing about Brian May too (cant remember where from).. but again find it hard to really believe..

Anyone who has practiced scales for even a small amount of time and spends so much time playing so must be able to, at least to an extent.. And even if improv isn't the thing they are best at.. so what.. the results are impressive all the same.

......I've read at least once (in a Zeppelin biography from memory) that Jeff effectively doesn't do improvisation.

its hard to believe that someone at his level cant improvise at all...

[confused][confused][confused]

Where on Earth does this come from? Exactly who says Jeff Beck can't improvise? Are they deaf?

I've followed Beck since the 1960s, have most of his albums, have seen him live several times, most recently at the Ronnie Scott's residency.

I can assure you that he can improvise solos at an extremely high level......

In my opinion one of the best guitar players ever, if not technically the best. Agree that he is a master of improvisation. His playing Beatles at Ronnie Scott's (I was only able to watch a recorded performance, not actually be there) was improvisation extraordinaire.

The guy had absolute mastery of his stratocaster. Fabulous.

Archived