Gibson Brands Forums

Lessons

harmonicchaos

Okay, some how i ended up getting signed up for guitar lessons at Sweetwater!

I'm pretty excited, my first lesson is this Wednesday.

For those of you who don't know me, I've been self-taught for around a year and a half. I'm not bad but i thought lessons would be a really nice supplement for my playing. There's almost always room for improvement and I thought It'd be a good experience. I'm also kinda curious about how well I've taught myself.

So be prepared for Wednesday night... I'll probably be either really happy and excited or embarrassed and feeling inadequate. I think, and hope, it won't be the latter.

I got kenny and if all goes well I'll keep him... #-o

Thats great' date=' sounds like you have a great attitude going into it also. I had a teacher way back when (late 70's) and I am self taught also and while this guy was a real good guitar player he sucked as a teacher. I lasted 3 lessons before I just quit[/quote']

I took 1 lesson from a dirty little man with a big dirty ponytail. I walked into his little room in the music store and was horrified to see a billion KISS and Motley Crue posters. He seemed to be a good player back in middle school but at my towns annual self-dedicated celebration I mercilessly kicked his A$$ in a guitar duel that was a little like the climax of Crossroads with Ralph Maggio save for the fact that it was much more one sided.

I suggest that if you really want to get good, go to a well respected conservatory and learn from seasoned jazz player who is a teacher first. While you do learn jazz these guys really know how to teach you to develop your own style instead of just some crusty Van Halen solo you can't pull off. I only took 5 lessons from a guy like this in order to prepare for college auditions and I am still putting his lessons to great use.

I'll bet Kenny knows his stuff and is a great teacher. Learn some rockabilly and have fun.

Yeah it'll be fun' date=' I'm not much of a rockabilly player (but i do like some of the surf and rockabilly sounds... bigsby's are [u']awesome[/u]!) I figure It'll help me to be a more diverse player.

They ask you some questions and they pair you up with an instructor that they think will be compatible. If it doesn't work, they let you try a new one.

Well, the lessons were yesterday. They went very well! I really liked my teacher. He really knows his stuff. He's had a ton of real-world experience. He's been in bands forever and has met a ton of musicians. We ended up talking for most of the half hour.

He was shocked with how much i knew about music. When i first walked in the room i pointed out "nice blueshawk!". He was really surprised that i even knew what it was. He'd said that he'd met people who'd been playing a long time and wondered what the heck his guitar was. btw it was a really nice one!

I think it's going to go really well. It feels like we really hit it off.

Awesome! You'll love it' date=' don't be emarrassed or self consience, there is always somebody better than you are (or I am), the best way to learn is to play with better people. I'll bet Kenny knows his stuff and is a great teacher. Learn some rockabilly and have fun.[/quote']

+1

Archived