Gibson Brands Forums

My Biggest Guitar Mistake

ajay

I bought this Melody Maker Bass for $150 43 years ago when I was 15. I was playing bass in the Jazz Band at school. Our lead guitar player was REALLY good, and he had a Gibson RD Artist that he had sanded down because of finish problems.

When I bought this, it was Cardinal Red Metallic, and the finish had extreme crazing. I thought, if a great guitarist like Greg was refinishing his, then that was the thing to do. What You see is the result of a 16 year old destroying the beautiful natural finish of a nice Gibson.

Luckily, I was careful in not touching the neck at all, even though the Nitro on the back of the neck has (beautiful) crazing. I also used a chemical stripper, so about 98% of the original shape remains. I am now considering having the original finish on the body redone. I realize that this is the acoustic forum, but since I'm always on the acoustic forum, I thought that I would share the bad decisions of my innocent youth.

Anyway, would You guys have the original color restored, of leave it alone and spend the money on an acoustic?87BE2C44-25F2-44D2-BD1C-7454671EE477.jpg

Hey ajay! My failure was greater and later ... I sold my Melody Maker six string. Do what you want to do first and foremost. The finish will never be the original one again though, so that is a consideration. A new acoustic (nice Southern Jumbo) might help the heart, no? And, you would still have the M.M. bass in the case.

steve

Mistake and mistake, , , , okay, it's a mistake if you say so, but apart from that you shouldn't forget that many a guitar was sanded to natural in the 70's.

Or just came like that from the plant. It was a trend and can be seen in connection with some of the ways of thinking back then.

Besides a puristic naked finish is more suitable for jazz than Cadillac-red, isn't it. . .

I wouldn't go back. The old bass looks cühl as it stands and has a history behind itself - it's real, man. . . .

[thumbup] Time to focus on a new acoustic.

Folly of Youth Relic Job.

You are talking to a guy once once stripped what was left of the finish off a 1958 Tele I had played into the ground, and then replaced the bridge and the tuners because I wanted it to look "fresh."

I would leave the bass as it lay.

I don't feel so bad now. Except for the nightmares that I'll have about Your Tele. At least You were not alone in Your thinking Zomby. How could we know that bare wood and cracks would be worth thousands of dollars?

I was looking at the "Norman's Rare Guitars" YouTube channel. He has a famous guitar store in L.A., and he has some INCREDIBLE TELE's. He has a mint Fender Broadcatser #22. Just stacks of mint 50's Fenders and Gibson's. That's where Joe Bonamassa and Richie Sambora spend their millions. It's a very entertaining channel on YouTube.

If you want a Cardinal Red metallic bass then go for it. If you're doing it for someone else's pleasure, not so much. If you play the bass a lot, I'd consider it. If not, I'd hold off and see if it's still nagging at you in six months.

In the meantime, in with the new. Or vintage. Whatever makes you happy.And whatever you think you will play!

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm thinkin' the natural Mahogany may stay onboard. I have an all-Hog Kalamazoo, so it would b a good look for a two man open mike. Imjust noticed something about this bass. Gibson used really nice pearl dots even in these Melody Makers. You don't see very fancy dots on low grade guitars anymore

I do have some history with it. Played several concerts with the basketball stadium packed. Played at The Oak Lawn Jazz Festival in suburban Chicago. We recorded an album. Played several school dances. I have a lot of great memories playing it. I'd love to open the case and see those cracks, but that's over and done with, so I guess I'll keep the mojo and the memories along with it. I guess if a lot of people hadn't done what I did the original ones wouldn't be worth so much. I'd never sell it anyway, so Zi'll leave it as is. Thanks for the advice everybody!

Actually - my 'biggest guitar mistake' is not related to specific guitar purchases or sales. While I could have/should have done Much Better on that score - my regret has to do with actual play time. I regret not having spent more time playing during the decades where I was working and raising a family. I wish I had just kept my guitar hanging within reach on a wall hanger above the rug rats reach. It's the one 'caution' I would share with younger or middle aged members here: Don't put your guitar in a closet or under your bed. Don't limit your music appreciation to listening to the car radio in rush hour traffic for an hour 5 days a week. Develop a plan or just make a commitment every New Year's Eve to do something specific to improve your skills. If that means buying or selling - do it. If you need a better guitar to help motivate yourself - it's an investment - do it. Don't worry about the humidity levels in your house, which strings to use, which polish, or which bridge pins. Just Play the Damn Thing ! You can't get that lost time back and, if you get to the point when your kids have left and your work is winding down - you may wish, as I do, that you had made progress in your playing. Jim

fortyearspickn posted the best advice I've ever read in this forum. I'd only add for the benefit of you younger guys, that consistent playing over a long period of time will yield results that you can't even imagine until you've put in the time and having a creative outlet will carry you through times you also can barely imagine. Keep the faith.

Archived