Gibson Brands Forums

The rare Spanish department

E-minor7

That video is a bit strange, to say the least.

I played one of these a bit back when they were new, but they were nothing special. I can't remember if they were fan-braced, like a classical, or braced like a steel-string guitar.

Remember that Noel Paul Stookey and Peter Yarrow of PP&M were playing nylon-string guitars back then, so there was quite an interest in this general type of guitar among those interested in "folk" music. (Not to mention people like the Singing Nun, of course.)

The Gibson C-series was based on the standard LG body form, which is similar to that of a traditional classical guitar.

When I went shopping for a classical guitar (for Brazilian music) a few years ago, I first looked at C-series Gibson, but they were overpriced for their mediocre qualities. I ended up spending a lot more money, but bought a Spanish-built Pavan by American luthier Tom Prisloe. Cedar top, rosewood B&S, ebony board and bridge, bone nut and saddle.

And it sounds like a classical guitar, not an LG-1 with nylon strings.

I was very much entertained by the video.

I've had a few Gibson classicals and still have one, a 1958 C-6 Richard Pick model. It's "okay" as a noodler but to me, either a classical sounds really good or it sounds like an Emenee plastic guitar from the 60s. And most fall into the latter category.

I've ranted ad nauseum about my $10 Seresta from Brazil and will continue to do so. It's warm and wonderful and makes no sense.

Gibson did make some traditional classicals around 1970, the C-100, c-200, etc. Never tried one. Anything has to be better than a C-0.

Ouch. 'Just raised the alert level on future Em7 YouTubes.

From the crest on the breast pocket, toiling today in the salt mine, with the hand-held device it looked like a Ferrari logo, and I thought we were going to be treated to a pre-moustachioed BluesKing vid. Not so much (I hope).

Ouch. 'Just raised the alert level on future Em7 YouTubes.

From the crest on the breast pocket, toiling today in the salt mine, with the hand-held device it looked like a Ferrari logo, and I thought we were going to be treated to a pre-moustachioed BluesKing vid. Not so much (I hope).

Thanks 62!

The vocal is similar to mine [rolleyes] , but I have a classical my sister gave me, recently repaired by the local magician....to play like a dream.

70s Takamine:

Classic-01e_zpsfc842e97.jpg

BluesKing777.

Archived