Gibson Brands Forums

Censorship.

harmonicchaos

And by the way' date=' explicit content is only in adult and purists mind. I tell you, puritanes have the DIRTIEST mind to be seen.

Kids most time can't possibly understand what is wrong with certain lyrics. It's on the grown-ups dirty minds.

I can prove you.[/quote']

I'd have to agree....That dingy broad Tipper kept saying that Twisted Sisters "Under The Blade" was about S&M when it was about throat surgery....I liked Dee Sniders response to that too....He said somethin' along the lines of "I can't help it if Senator Gore's wife has a dirty mind."

And by the way' date=' explicit content is only in adult and purists mind. I tell you, puritanes have the DIRTIEST mind to be seen.

Kids most time can't possibly understand what is wrong with certain lyrics. It's on the grown-ups dirty minds.

I can prove you.[/quote']

I agree, I've known people that will automatically assume the most 'profane' interpretation of something that most likely intended to be harmless. Sometimes i can't even imagine how they can come to the conclusions they do.

It's a maturity question different people mature at different ages and a line has to be drawn somewhere at the age of 16 reason and control are developed to a degree but not completed, not a bias it's just fact. As for alcohol and youth it's a scale that changed years ago in most states based on the number of 18-21 year olds involved in serious and fatal accidents that involved drinking. Smoking is a choice that effects the smoker, drinking and driving effects us all in the death and destruction as well as the financial costs. at 21 there's no guarantee a person is mature enough to drink and not drive but the odds are reduced by close to 30%.

I don't get the maturity regulations on music honestly foul language and obscene statements are common in today's society irregardless of age but again a line has to be drawn somewhere and the limit of 18 restricts some who could likely not handle it.

Ok that's enough of a soapbox but I spent years in law enforcement scraping kids off the asphalt so it's a touchy topic for me.

When I turned 18 that was the legal drinking age where I grew up - at least for a couple more years (they've sinced raised it to 21).

H. chaos I understand the frustration. However, it is what it is so you need to figure out how the make the best of the situation. I could give you some suggestions, but I think you'll figure out what to do.

It's a maturity question different people mature at different ages and a line has to be drawn somewhere at the age of 16 reason and control are developed to a degree but not completed' date=' not a bias it's just fact. As for alcohol and youth it's a scale that changed years ago in most states based on the number of 18-21 year olds involved in serious and fatal accidents that involved drinking. Smoking is a choice that effects the smoker, drinking and driving effects us all in the death and destruction as well as the financial costs. at 21 there's no guarantee a person is mature enough to drink and not drive but the odds are reduced by close to 30%.

I don't get the maturity regulations on music honestly foul language and obscene statements are common in today's society irregardless of age but again a line has to be drawn somewhere and the limit of 18 restricts some who could likely not handle it.

Ok that's enough of a soapbox but I spent years in law enforcement scraping kids off the asphalt so it's a touchy topic for me. [/quote']

Great Job retrosurfer1959!

You did a good job of explaining that.:)

I agree with KSG that what happened to you was not censorship. And I agree with Murph that as a child you'll never understand a parent's responsibility to protect you from certain things. Sadly, as we've seen recently on the forums from some folks, grown ups don't always get it either.

But, on the topic of censorship in general I'll say this:

Our founding fathers never meant for FREE SPEECH to mean that I can spew profanity in public places or yell fire in a crowded auditorium, etc.

The whole concept of FREE SPEECH was designed so that the POWER lay in the hands of the PEOPLE when it came to those they ELECTED to govern on thier behalf. Keep in mind we are a democratic REPUBLIC, not a democracy.

Now, at the time of the birth of this wonderful nation (GOD BLESS AMERICA!), in most places, speaking out against the King, Queen, or Despot, meant DEATH. One could not say that the RULER was not ruling in the best general interest of the PEOPLE. So, our brilliant founding fathers decided that if the government was ELECTED by the people to make decisions on the behalf of the PEOPLE, and the government was not acting accordingly, or scrupiously, or fairly, etc., the people could make open and public statements AGAINST those they elected.

Now, this was supposed to be used to inform the ELECTED that the PEOPLE were not happy, and if they didn't change their ways, the PEOPLE would unceremoniously UNELECT them in the next election.

Somehow, the PEOPLE, or at least a few, got together and interpreted FREE SPEECH to mean that they could spew the most HATEFUL and VILE filth against ANYONE and get away with it because of thie INTERPRETATION of FREE SPEECH.

Now, that doesn't mean that I can't write a bunch of hateful and vile songs, or write a screenplay, or make a movie that pisses a lot of people off. I can, even though it may be in bad taste, at times. But the consumer has the power in this case, and can CHOOSE not to purchase that CD, BOOK, MOVIE TICKET, etc. So, the will of the people can be exercised in this way.

The biggest problem is that there are a lot of people who think some of this crap is good. In my opinion, this just shows an overall slide in taste in America, and in some cases the dumbing down of America.

Ultimately, we should be adult enough to censor ourselves, so that we aren't censored by others. What I mean by this is that we should know how to make our arguments in public forums in such a way that are not derogatory, demeaning, or juvenile. An adult should be able make his argument in such a way that others don't walk away thinking that the other guy was an *** and that his ability to speak freely should be taken from him.

I've tried to keep my rants civilized. I may fail at times, but I try very hard to debate for the intellectual stimulation it brings, and not let myself get upset and result to becoming an idiot.

Of course, there are those who will try any way possible to take this important power from us, hiding it behind a call for decency. This is exactly my point. If you can't debate or speak with some modicum of self restraint and self respect, someone will use your inability to communicate in a civilized manner to take the right to speak at all away from you.

Sorry for the rant, guys. Peace out and rock on!

Seems to me that laws and rules are generally made not for the average person but for the problem person. The average and above average person (i.e. the 19 year old who is actually mature enough to drink) suffers for the immaturity of the few (who may in fact never be responsible). I've observed this to be true in schools too, which are really just micro-societies.

Sorry for the rant' date=' guys. Peace out and rock on!

[/quote']

No need for apology. That was nicely done. I've always believed the right to dissent was the free speech the Constitution was specifically intended to protect.

Seems to me that laws and rules are generally made not for the average person but for the problem person. The average and above average person (i.e. the 19 year old who is actually mature enough to drink) suffers for the immaturity of the few (who may in fact never be responsible). I've observed this to be true in schools too' date=' which are really just micro-societies.[/quote']

Excellent point, Surfpup. Because there are those who abuse the rights given to the general public, someone comes along and limits those rights or takes those rights away from EVERYONE. If we were able to raise civilized people who could make mature decisions, we'd actually be a nation that is more free, or in your case, a school.

Great point!

Archived