Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Green's 59 Les Paul

Zentar

A little more on the subject; which apparently from my history is one of my very favorite subjects ever...

Peter Green, Gary Moore and The Holy Grail Les Paul

Ted Drozdowski

An article on Gibson.com

We also have the information from the Gibson Collector's Choice premier relsease:

The Collector's Choice™ #1

Introducing the Gary Moore Aged and Melvyn Franks VOS 1959 Les Paul Standard

It is not in production currently and the information isn't updated to current; the fact that Metallica's Kirk Hammett now owns it...

835be978-b66f-4c40-9ac5-5881b9c3a23b.jpg

f0a466ce-e01a-4624-8354-74fb69dfd387.jpg

Supposedly Gibson's reproduction is a magnificent guitar. It better be for $10K+ when they were available...

It's still way less than the $2 Mil the original went for, broken/repaired head-stock an' all...

You can make your own Peter Green Les Paul. Just turn the neck pickup around, scratch off some finish by the pick guard area, drill an extra hole for the front strap. Don't forget to sand some chrome off the bridge and break the head stock then glue it back together. Voilla!

then you can donate it to the R&R Hall of Fame and claim a $2mil tax exemption.

You can make your own Peter Green Les Paul. Just turn the neck pickup around

Nope.

then you can donate it to the R&R Hall of Fame and claim a $2mil tax exemption.

Nope again.

rct

Nothing that you do to a pickup by turning it around or wiring it wrong will put it out of phase. You can, however, invert the polarity by wiring the hot to ground and vice versa. This can modify the nature of the combined signal from multiple sources, which, of course, pick up a slightly different signal due to their differing locations along the vibrating string.

Using a phaser will put the signal out of phase, though. And inverting the polarity of a signal can eliminate issues with interference between multiple signals that are ever-so-slightly out-of-phase with respect to each other. I wonder if this is where the misconception comes from.

Hello!

Phaser will not sound the same as a guitar wired OOP. Phaser is pulsing, while OOP is a stationary effect. (Sorry for the non-professional talk).

I have an LP and a Tele with this function. When turned on, volume drops, all noises and hums are cancelled, and the guitar sounds kind of hollow. At around the highest frets, it sounds almost like pinch harmonics.

The best way to emulate this kind of sound without any mods made to the guitar, is to switch on a Wah and leave it on as a filter at treble position of the pedal. Also, my AM Special Strat, in position 2 and 4 of the pickup selector sounds like this when strings are plucked with strong attack.

Cheers... Bence

Again - there is no such thing as a guitar "wired out-of-phase," unless it has enough wire in it, miles of it, to create a delay in one signal of a combined number of signals. A phaser is what an out-of-phase signal combined into the original signal actually sounds like. When you reverse the signal path, or flip a pickup, you invert the polarity of the signal, you do not modify phase one bit.

It's just like calling a vibrato arm a tremolo - it makes absolutely no sense at all, is completely inaccurate, yet still persists for no real reason.

Again - there is no such thing as a guitar "wired out-of-phase," unless it has enough wire in it, miles of it, to create a delay in one signal of a combined number of signals. A phaser is what an out-of-phase signal combined into the original signal actually sounds like. When you reverse the signal path, or flip a pickup, you invert the polarity of the signal, you do not modify phase one bit.

It's just like calling a vibrato arm a tremolo - it makes absolutely no sense at all, is completely inaccurate, yet still persists for no real reason.

LOL- I like to be correct when I speak or write...thats not to say that I always do! The Vibrato / Tremolo thing- I used to gently correct my band mates and friends on the subject, but I finally gave up! THEN in a recent post, I referred to it on my Fender amp incorrectly! :rolleyes:

Well, thats me! All that to say I do so like the middle position tones of Mr. Green's guitar and the tones on position 2&4 of Strats wired normally...

brian

Archived