Gibson Brands Forums

Fill her up...

daveinspain

I was just thinking.... I wonder if Gibson has ever tried filling the holes or the chambers on the weight relieved Les Pauls with that Polysomethingerether foam. You know the same foam that's used for sound proofing... Would the filled holes make the guitar resonate more or less? I'm thinking that would fill the space and not add any significant weight back to the guitar.... Just thinking out loud

I think it would be tricky to fill the holes with another material that is light. Foam would most likely dull the sound.

Styrofoam is stiff and would affect the sound less but it would not transmit the sound and that in itself is a problem. I think anything that is not a dense as the wood itself would fall short.

That is unless they use some of the metal of the Roswell UFO...

Dave are you having the full guitar covered in leaf or just the top? are you going to call it the "Midas" Les Paul?

The guitar looks so vulnerable all naked like that...

Could you fill in in with a lighter wood? That way you could fill the holes and add another tonewood to it that might possibly improve the sound

I hope they don't fill it with resonwood, like my Sonex. It does have great sustain but the tone is no way near a Les Paul (great for shredding sounds though).

I was just thinking.... I wonder if Gibson has ever tried filling the holes or the chambers on the weight relieved Les Pauls with that Polysomethingerether foam. You know the same foam that's used for sound proofing... Would the filled holes make the guitar resonate more or less? I'm thinking that would fill the space and not add any significant weight back to the guitar.... Just thinking out loud

Wouldn't the foam deaden the sound and or tone?

Archived