Gibson Brands Forums

Take a break

daveinspain

I notice that each time I take a few days off from playing when I get back into it everything seems to flow better. When you are working on chords or riffs or even a song and then take a break that time allows for some sinking in, some sub conscious osmosis that occurs without knowing it. The fact that after a few days off you have to review what you've been doing. It's like relearning and reinforcing what you had learned up to that point. So if you are working really hard on a part or song let it go for a couple days. ~The next time you go at it it's not as hard… At least that's what I have found.

As you wrote in your conclusion, it's not only about taking days off from playing as you introduced your post. It is also about leaving alone certain licks or riffs and playing something different for a while. [thumbup]

I can confirm both of it works. Moreover, I experienced that both ways make practicing much more fun in the end. In this case more fun means better playing - a win-win situation! :)

Agreed, Dave. I always play better after a break (actually I'd say I play the same but with a fresh attitude). Perhaps an exception to this would be very technical players. I have a couple of highly skilled friends, and they say they start to lose speed and precision after a couple of days. I have neither speed nor precision to begin with, so even a few weeks off does nothing to diminish my facility (just maybe my callouses). [biggrin]

Ignacy Jan Paderewski: "If I miss one day of practice, I notice it. If I miss two days, the critics notice it. If I miss three days, the audience notices it."

I think if you practice one thing for too long, it helps to leave it for a while. Relearning anything helps it to stick better, and I've also noticed that picking something up after leaving it for a while can add a freshness to my approach. But I don't agree that going without playing each day is necessarily a good thing.

When I learned major scales, it helped to pass the time on the tread mill to play them in my head. I also think sleeping helps learning stuff sink in. People also vary in their ability to stay focused. Shorter practice periods are better for some people.

I would also recommend that if you're taking lessons, you take periodic breaks from lessons to apply what you've learned.

Sometimes you don't have a choice.

If you have to take a week off for medical reasons (as I did this past week, for surgery), then the guitar is just going to have to get a break.

In the end, I find it's just like falling off a drunk cheerleader; you never forget.

Like the original poster, I often find that I'm recharged and playing just a little more energized after a break from practice.

Get well soon Sparquelito.

I find my most original material happens in the first 60 seconds of playing that day. Its a good idea to record it, sample it. Time signatures are out the window, I play odd modes that never resolve on 1.

As far as fluidity and scales and flow, of course this comes later in the day. I would rather not force this occurance with 'practice' anymore. It just wears out the welcome mat.

If I'm going to push the speed limit, I will force the upbeat pace along with an up tempo drum beat, and some triplicated pentatonics leading into natural diatonic scales... it just doesn't impress me like it used to.

BBKing's vibrato on his bends, that's the hard part for me. Nailing all of those bends and getting a vocal feel to them. Its an every day endeavor.

I find this interesting. I'm still learning songs and take lots of breaks from various songs and come back again. Stair way to heaven for example, I have been working on and off for a couple of years. Just as I thought I was getting better with the first several parts, up to the solo: I recorded myself over and over again on my cell, each time erasing the video because I was so terrible. Oh my goodness, I am so jealous of you guys who can play. I practiced over half the day yesterday trying to get it right. My fingers are so sore today I decided to take a break the whole day. msp_scared.gif At least the wife and son said they thought I was pretty good at the end.

Archived