Gibson Brands Forums

Batwing for J-45/50 of appropriate era does not fit J-15?

Jesse_Dylan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, they did make it... What kind of irked me is that he said he could make me a custom but it probably wouldn't fit any better than the one I had. I guess if I had technical skills it wouldn't be a problem, but for $50, I want it to fit. :)

Hopefully one of these other two will fit and yep, if not, gonna have to get an exact template and be sure to get it right!

Yeah, they did make it... What kind of irked me is that he said he could make me a custom but it probably wouldn't fit any better than the one I had.

Hopefully one of these other two will fit and yep, if not, gonna have to get an exact template and be sure to get it right!

Yea, if they can't make a custom that fits, then that tells you what you need to know.

Ha I seriously don't want a J-50!

LOL [biggrin]

That's why you have posted all the pictures and comments about batwing pickguards and pretty much ruined your nice new J-15 trying to make it look like a J-50. After you get the pickguard issue sorted out, I guess the next project will be enlarging the headstock so it looks like a 70's J-50?

Sorry, couldn't resist…. ;)

You know, as for now, before you settle on a pickgaurd, it might be time to address that "shadow line" issue.

2 reasons: 1st, is that I think what most have said is correct, in that, it ain't gonna go away. If you have any doubts about it, now is the time to TRY and address it so you can see for yourself, it's there forever. (To also, get a REAL idea of what it's gonna look like, as opposed to what might be in your head).

Which, leads to this: you might change your mind altogether. Once you actually stick the new PG on, you are eventually creating a "new" shadow-line that will form, also there forever. AND, while sticking on a PG doesn't HAVE to follow that it's permanent, there is ALWAYS the possibility of damage when removing one.

That, above, might have an effect on your decision of what you want your "custom J-15/J-whatever" pickguard shape to actually be. Perhaps you might want to come up with something that covers the shadow lines?

Yeah, for sure.

Well, from what I can tell, and assuming I cut out the templates at least 95% correctly (which I may not have done!), it looks like both will cover up all or 95% (there it is again) of the tan lines. I think I could live with a little tanline.

What I can't live with is covering up some of the rosette but not all of it, or having a gap under the rosette but then covering up part of it.

Haven't heard back yet from the original pickguard guy, or from the lmii.com pickguard people. I assumed lmii.com was Canadian, but apparently it's Ontario, California? What the heck. I saw Ontario, CA and thought it was obviously Ontario, Canada..............

Anyway, if none of the above works, I will definitely get a pickguard that looks like a batwing but curves with the shape of the J-15 and covers all the tan lines. :) In the meantime, I'm still enjoying playing it without a pickguard (I don't actually need one).

Okay. Back again. How much of my life am I going to waste over this dalliance with innecessity? (Yes, it's a word.)

I printed out a template from Terrapin Guitars, who also sell J-45/50 Batwings. Not only that, they are much cheaper than where I purchased from. Not only that, but they seem to actually fit. I don't know if the place I bought from has their radius messed up or what.

Please compare...

2015-09-10%2017.53.00.jpg

Kind of a nice look in its own right... Construction paper pickguard. Durable, no doubt.

EXPECTATION VS

2015-09-06%2018.38.47.jpg

reality

The radius is just plain wrong. If even my sloppily cut-out pickguard fits better than their actual, $50 plus shipping pickguard, I think something is amiss. So I am going to order one from Terrapin, hope it fits, and take a hit sending back the J-200 and J-185 guards I ordered in desperation.

Terrapin also makes customs, so if it does not fit, I will use my newfound skills with construction paper to make a terrible template, send it to them with the non-fitting guard, ask them to construct it in such a manner that it also covers the tan lines, and that will be that.

However, hopefully their standard Batwing for J-45/50 will fit, and that will be that. The tanlines don't look too bad to me, and I still think I can put a jacket on my guitar (yes really) and just have it unzipped at the tanline and put it supervised in the sun until that spot tans. Or just leave it. I kind of like the weird multicolored look. It has some spots on it elsewhere that are lighter than the rest, for whatever reason. The rough and tumble look and nature of this guitar just makes me love it all the more. I am seriously having a love affair with it. My Hummingbird is probably pretty jealous. I think the J-15 is every bit the guitar the Hummingbird is, just different.

Anyway, I've e-mailed the maker of the first guard I tried asking for a refund. For all the obsessive fuss I've gone through, I think they should give a full refund, including shipping, and probably return shipping. It is defective. (Hey, nothing like blame-shifting! It's their fault I'm obsessive!)

Jesse, I bought mine from them and it fit fine. When it comes don't be alarmed at the yellow color as it is from the yellow backing paper. Hope this one works for you.

chasAK

Thanks, Chas! I can't remember--are you the dude that put a Batwing on a J-15 before me? I know someone did, and I forgot for the life of me who it was. Should have conferred with them/you in the first place and saved myself the trouble and money wasted on shipping/returns!

Got them!

2015-09-12%2014.05.55.jpg

J-185 guard does not fit. Sure is a nice material, though.

2015-09-12%2014.03.17.jpg

SJ-200 guard fits nearly perfectly! It slipped down a little after I put it on and before I took the photo (the goo from the stock guard is not as gooey anymore).

I think I'd be very pleased with this SJ-200 guard.

Anyway, I've got an actual custom J-45/50 guard coming from Terrapin Guitars which I think will probably fit best of all (and I've asked them to kind of elongate it to cover the tan line and perhaps curve it up on the bridge side toward the bass bout to cover it there as well). Going to hang on to the SJ-200 guard just in case, try all three, and send back the two I don't use.

We'll see what happens, and if tanlines remain, I will set about attempting to tan them, or just live with them.

• 1 month later...

Archived